Saturday, August 31, 2013

September Menus: The Long and the Short of It

I am taking full advantage of having the long weekend starting out with putting together my menus for September before we are off to have a fun day at the Great Geauga County Fair .
 It has been a good number of years since I have worked such long hours and the work week of 10 1/2 days has me pretty exhausted by the time I need to deal with dinner and chores around the house. I know that this situation will improve with time. I know myself and once I've settled into a routine these hours won't be such a big deal. But for now I'm relying on organization skills and a strict schedule. And gel inserts for my shoes because boy my feet are hurting. LOL. On the upside the tops of my feet are rocking an amazing farmer's tan from playground duty.
So I have my menus all set. During the work week I chose either quick cooking (under 30 minutes) or slow cooker ideas with quick sides. I have a new Fall Gooseberry Patch cookbook, Hometown Harvest, and I am trying a new recipe out of it as well as a couple new recipes from Pampered Chef's 29 Minutes to Dinner, volume 1. We have an anniversary party and a family reunion coming up this month as well as football/marching band each Friday night so I did not plan menus for those days. I will make a dish to share for both the party and the reunion but I have not decided on what at this time.  I won't be able to get to the grocery store until after I get my first full paycheck on the 13th( shopping on a Saturday is going to be interesting since I have not done that in about 30 years).  The first half of the month's menus are based on things still in the pantry and freezer. I will have to buy milk this weekend but that is the only thing we really need immediately. I also moved a few recipe ideas from August (the roast turkey I never made & some planned over ideas) to the beginning of September as well. Recipes using planned overs have are in bold, new recipes I am trying have an *, main dishes using items already on hand are in italics.

Roast Turkey, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, corn

Moroccan Lamb chops, couscous, peas

Turkey Burritos, Spanish rice

Spaghetti with marinara sauce, garlic toast, salad

Turkey ala King, steamed rice, green beans

Vermont Maple Chicken, white and wild rice, Brussels sprouts

Pumpkin pancakes with homemade cinnamon syrup, bacon

Beef stew with country vegetables, homemade Hawaiian rolls

Shrimp orzo skillet, salad

Broiled pork chops, baked potatoes, Harvard beets

Herb encrusted Eye of round, mashed potatoes, carrots

Ham Steak and Apple skillet, Scottish skillet potatoes, green beans

Pan Fried Polenta with Vegetable Marinara sauce*, garlic toast

Beef stroganoff over egg noodles, broccoli with garlic and herbs

Garam Masala salmon*, basmati rice, cucumber salad

Cranberry Pork Roast*, winter roasted vegetables

Sausage and Apple supper, spaetzle, green beans

Chicken Piccata, creamy parmesan rice, broccoli

Horseradish encrusted tilapia, mashed sweet potatoes, peas

Gremolata steaks*, noodles romanoff, capri blend veggies

Tuna and Sun Dried Tomato Penne, garlic toast

Hawaiian Short Ribs, jasmine rice, salad

Tomato-basil chicken sausages with carmelized onions and peppers, Parmesan oven fries













4 comments:

  1. Nice, varied menu! Enjoy the fair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found that if/when you get to the grocery store before 11 AM, either on Saturday and/or Sunday, it's not as bad as let's say 11 - 4. And Sunday is far worse than Sunday in general. Which I personally find very odd. Seeing as only one store in the area starts its new store ad/sale on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip Kelly! I will plan to get out about 8:30 and done by 11 am.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I second that tip-be the early bird, get in, get out.

    ReplyDelete