Sunday, May 24, 2015

Change Ahead part three








Well I finally had my contract signing meeting .  Yes they offered me a contract while at the same time trimming an additional 90 minutes off my workday each day. This is just unacceptable. My budget cannot withstand another hit. After prayer and reflection I decided to decline to work the aftercare job next year. I sent an email to that effect to the business manager and the principal. I met with the Pastor and we signed my altered contract in which I agreed to work just the five hour per day cafeteria manager position. I figured this was the end of this and got on with job hunting. A lucky phone call with adult daughter K led me to an application and a phone interview. Networking on her part has been happening and I am cautiously optimistic that this will lead to something for me. Prayers that this opportunity pans out are appreciated.
In the meantime I will be receiving my current paycheck through the summer. And will continue job hunting. The drama at school though just seems never ending. The business manager felt she needed to approach me about "keeping the conversation open" in regards to working the shorter aftercare hours. Not quite grasping the whole connection between paycheck and financial responsibilities. Then the principal jumped in with what she thought was a great idea offering me a total of 30 hours a week (10 less than the altered contract had). She appeared to be surprised to learn that I already work 25 hours a week in the cafeteria . She has no clue what I do here. Which made her review of my job performance interesting. Amazing how she can write one without ever setting foot in the cafeteria. Or knowing how much time I spend there.  I am working hard at remaining positive.

4 comments:

  1. I am sure that you are far more capable and efficient than the staff they've had in the past - it's too bad they aren't telling you that directly. I hope you are able to find something rewarding for the time you aren't in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This whole situation really leaves me sad, and this is at a CATHOLIC school? Sigh . . the worst is the Principal who has no clue about what you do, yet is allowing decisions to be made in a vacuum. Stay strong! Hopefully you will find something else, with full time hours, benefits? and can move on, closing this chapter behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol: Yes Catholic school and yes very sad isn't it? But bad management (cough-principal&businessmanager-cough) can happen anywhere. The job I am actively pursuing with K's help is full time with excellent benefits. It will mean a 5 hour day at school then an 8 hour evening 4 weekdays a week (and alternate weekends for the second job as well as alternating holidays) BUT the pay is good, the benefits even better, and it will allow me to pay off the car in half the time as well as build the savings back up and do some much needed home repairs. I will revisit the whole cafeteria job next spring if I get this full time position and depending on how the finances are I may just not need to work so many hours. For now I have to do what I have to do. We cannot continue on as we have been.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy, praying that this comes together for you!

    ReplyDelete