Tuesday, August 20, 2013

$15

I made the trek into work this morning expecting my food delivery to be waiting for me to put it away and the office to be open. Well no one in the office which was locked up tight. So much for putting menus in teacher mailboxes and picking up whatever lunch packets came back. Down into the kitchen and no food. <sigh> I got on the phone with customer service and discovered for whatever reason we are farther down the delivery list than we were last year. I explained that this was ok for today but once school was in session we need to have the slot we had last year so that deliveries can be safely made when there are no students outside in the way. Of course the customer service rep couldn't tell me when the food would arrive. I wasn't going to sit there all day waiting so I hunted down the maintenance guys and they agreed to keep an eye out for the truck and to direct the delivery man where to roll the perishables and I left the walk in cooler/freezer unlocked and ready.
I really need to find my rep's business card and speak to him about this situation.
So since I was off work early and really needed to get my hair trimmed (last haircut my stylist left it too long and it is after only two weeks looking shaggy) I called my daughter K who has a natural gift for this kind of thing. She said to swing by and she'd give me a trim and I could get some cuddle time in with the grandsons. I did so and my hair looks great. I think I may work out a deal with K to do my hair all the time.
Needing some fresh produce to get through the remainder of the month I also swung by the farmer's market. I had $15 in my wallet and was determined to get what I needed for what I had in cash.
$12.63 later I came home with everything on my list:
10 pounds of russet potatoes (with a reminder to myself to buy these at Aldi where they are far cheaper) $3.99, one head of cabbage (.39¢ per pound), two Ohio grown tomatoes ($1.39 per pound), two Ohio grown zucchini ($1.29 per pound), one large eggplant ($1.29 per pound), and two red bell peppers ($1.19 per pound).
 
And I have just enough cash to pick up a can of fabric/upholstery cleaner I need!

1 comment:

  1. Nancy, bummer about poor customer service and non existent communication. Ugh. Beautiful looking produce. I have been paying $3.99 for 10 lbs of Russets here in CT, but our prices are higher in this county. Nice that K was able to do a trim for you. My hairdresser will do free bang trims if I want them. : ) I've taken her up on that a handful of times.

    ReplyDelete