Thursday, December 31, 2015

Goodby Annus Horribilis

  As this year draws to a close I realize that it has once again been two months since I sat down and shared life. The last two months have been difficult for me. Just as I felt in a good place following my break-up word spread that the ex-Gf was not the gentleman I thought he was and despite the fact that we will have to occasionally see each other at family functions (he is my daughterinlaw's uncle) thought it would be a grand idea to trash talk me behind my back. I'm a big girl and I can ignore that kind of stuff, consider the source (someone who at all costs must be in the right & build himself up by tearing someone else down), realize that what he's saying is pure fiction, know that anyone who knows me doesn't beleive a word of it, and move on. But when it hurts my children that makes me angry. And I also discovered the reason behind the break-up. While making the deal for college age son's first car the Ex also made a deal to hook up with the seller of said car. That hurt. It still hurts. Ouch. Pain and Anger, two very bad companions I intend to leave behind in the new year. The fact that he continues to text me randomly as well as on holidays as if we are still BFFs shows me he also thinks I'm stupid. Not. Hopefully the fact that college age son and daughter both returned the gift cards he sent them for Christmas will get through to him that no one wants his charity (part of what he's saying is that he basically supported us for 8 years..clearly why I had to work 3 jobs). And this will be the very last time I ever mention him again.
Work-wise I am in a much better place. I've settled into my permanent area, Pediatric emergency and have begun to forge good work relationships with the staff there. I actually got a very high compliment from my hospital supervisor last night, she said "they love you in PEDS and it looks great" Considering the joint commission on hospitals is due to inspect us next month this is a big deal. My school job is also pretty much stress free this year. So much better than last school year!!
I have had some health things going on. On the upside as of two days ago I have dropped 30 much needed pounds due to all the walking around I get at the hospital! My blood pressure is back to normal, my heart rate is excellent, and I feel good. My cholesterol is still high but a prescription for Lipitor is getting that back on track. My hospital likes you to have all the routine tests for your insurance so I recently had my first colonoscopy and I am extremely grateful that I did. A polyp was removed and while it was benign it was also unusual so a follow up scope next year is on the schedule. I have a routine mammogram this coming week and the big one is I am scheduled for carpal tunnel surgery a week from tomorrow. The right arm first then if it is healing well two weeks later the left. The downside to this news is that I will be on recovery from the hospital job for a month and once my few days of PTO run out I will be without a paycheck. Ouch. However the aftercare director at school is going to hire me to work temporarily three  hours a day (so the business manager doesn't go crazy that I exceed the 8 hour limit) while I am on leave of absence from the hospital. I don't have to use my arm at all for that job and all the lifting etc. that is required for the cafeteria job will be done by my assistant. Paperwork I can take care of with one hand. So a little income coming in in addition to the cafeteria paycheck will cover gas & insurance costs. My oldest son has already offered to help out if I need it and of course adult son who lives at home will contribute the regular towards utilities. My last paycheck of this year will take care of the mortgage, the tv bill, and the homeowners insurance and put a little cushion in the checking account.
Knowing this was coming up I was frugal with Christmas expenses although happily it was the same 'sized' Christmas as it has always been.
I had to work at the hospital Christmas Day and I was very sad about that. But all of my children except middle daughter and her family came for Christmas Eve and I spent Christmas morning before work with Middle Daughter and her family. So all in all it was something to be thankful for.
I will be working tonight until 11:30 and then stopping at my neighbor and dear friend V's house to raise a glass to the New Year. I can't say enough good things about V. She has been my rock the last four months. Getting me out and about, listening patiently to my boo-hoo-ing, serving worms for my pity parties, and giving sage advice. When God gave her son to my oldest son as a 'brother from another mother' and best friend he also gifted me with her. A truly special gift.
So goodbye horrible 2015 and welcome what I am determined will be an awesome 2016.

6 comments:

  1. Nancy, good to see you blogging, sorry about the X. : (
    Can you get a temp desk duty position answering phones at the hospital while you are down from carpel tunnel surgery? That's what I have seen the local hospital here do: OT had hand surgery, she answered phones, checked patients in at the pt rehab center, ditto a surgical nurse on medical recovery leave-just a thought-wouldn't hurt to ask HR. Wishing you many blessings come 2016.
    Carol in CT

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Cleveland clinic is very precise on jobs so no working one that isn't in your department. However I did realize today that I will receive an almost full pay in two weeks because of how the pay periods fell out. The additional aftercare work will fill in nicely until mid February when I will be back to work full-time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Cleveland clinic is very precise on jobs so no working one that isn't in your department. However I did realize today that I will receive an almost full pay in two weeks because of how the pay periods fell out. The additional aftercare work will fill in nicely until mid February when I will be back to work full-time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy - I'm sorry about the EX - I have to admit that I always felt he got a better deal from your relationship than you did. You cooked and kept house for him and it seemed you had to be overly grateful when he did something for you. I'm glad he's as out of your life as is possible. Your kids and good friends certainly know you better than to believe his silly stories. I hope 2016 is a happier and healthier year for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy - - I too am very sorry to hear what a jerk (my words, not yours) he has turned out to be. You're obviously better off without him.

    I have missed your blogging but I do get why you haven't been able to do much of it.

    Here is wishing you a happy, healthy and blessed 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy - - I too am very sorry to hear what a jerk (my words, not yours) he has turned out to be. You're obviously better off without him.

    I have missed your blogging but I do get why you haven't been able to do much of it.

    Here is wishing you a happy, healthy and blessed 2016.

    ReplyDelete