Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Not Your Normal Ratatouille

big thank you for this recipe to Chef Mark Brown, a member of our ...It was our last day before students arrived and as the last two have been it was a shortened day. A tech seminar, some paperwork, and making sure my food and milk deliveries were safely stowed away and it was time to come home.
In keeping with my austere August theme before I left the house this morning I had a breakfast of greek yogurt and coffee then washed a load of laundry and got it out on the clothesline, emptied the dishwasher, started another load of laundry in the washer, and decided on what was going to be for dinner. Having the veggies for grilled ratatouille on hand from my farmer's market trip on Monday I settled on that. When I arrived home I had a lunch of carrot sticks and hummus and a bread and butter sandwich on homemade bread. I'd been fighting a headache all morning and didn't feel like much more than that. After lunch I hung out the second load of laundry and helped teen son sign up for the ACTs. Then I sat down with a cool towel and relaxed for a couple of hours to try to get rid of the headache.
Once I started feeling better it was time to prep for dinner. This is a different way to prepare the vegetable stew that I quite enjoy. I peeled and cut up eggplant, cut up zucchini, an onion, a red bell pepper, and a large tomato. Then I mixed up a marinade of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, salt, pepper, brown sugar, and basil. I put the marinade and the veggies in a large bowl,gave them a good toss, covered and let sit for about an hour.
 
I like to serve this over linguine so I started a big pot of water and got the veggies out on the preheated grill in a grill pan:

 
Once the pasta was cooked and drained I dressed it with a bit of smart balance spread and some balsamic vinegar:

 
I tossed the grilled vegetables with the marinade before serving it on a bed of linguine. Yum.
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment