Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Restructuring my budget

Budget Illustrations and Clip Art. 3,024 Budget royalty free stock ... I got some very good news on Monday at work. Not only was I approved for a longer day doing my cafeteria job I was also hired on as an aftercare assistant. This means working 7:45 a.m. until 6:15-6:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Long hours but with my youngest son being a high school senior and our death benefits ending when he graduates I needed to be organized, look ahead, and get a job to help make up that upcoming deficit in income. I am thrilled to have found something that will still allow me some evening hours at home as well as free weekends. And no commute from my school job anywhere else. The drawback is no income in the summer months but I will be saving towards that and also keeping an eye out for summer employment. I will continue with my twice monthly cleaning job as well.
I have decided to begin saving as if I didn't have the benefit income still coming in. I will take my combined salary from both school jobs and figure out what it would be if spread over 12 months putting the extra in the savings. This will easily give us what we need to live on next summer. I also hope to put a bit more in towards building up my savings account for a rainy day fund.
My SUV is going to need new tires. GF says this really cannot wait until the end of October when I will have that money saved up. He has offered to pay for them and let me pay him back when I have the funds. I've agreed to that since he is insistent that the tires need replacing immediately.
Our day to day operations will continue to be austere through September. I really need to get that tire money all set. I hate borrowing but appreciate his offer to do this, I am determined to pay him back a.s.a.p. I will continue to 'shop' in my pantry but by mid September when my first full paycheck will roll in I will need to restock the freezer. Cash in hand from my cleaning job will fill the SUV and get some fresh produce. I will continue to hang laundry either outside or in the basement as long as the weather holds.
These measures should see us through.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you got the extended position. Agree, live below your means, as if you no longer were getting H's death benefit. Stash the cleaning job funds also, if possible. Then budget as best you can! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete