Monday, July 18, 2016

Six Months

  I'd like to start by thanking Carol of Ctonabudget for her email. It has inspired me to pick myself up and get back to blogging. It has been quite a journey. I had my carpal tunnel surgeries in January and all went well. I returned to my school job right away because daughter E who was working with me could do all of the heavy work. I returned to my hospital cleaning job on the 8th of February. That surgery was a miracle. No more numbness, no tingling, no pain. As per my doctor's instructions though I continue to wear the braces while I sleep.
I signed a new school contract in May and got a raise! School starts Aug. 24th this year and my youngest son H will be my assistant this school year since daughter E is returning to school herself and H's classes are all late afternoon-evening. I also received an excellent review and a merit raise at the hospital! On the financial front things are looking up.
I also took a week's vacation in June and went to North Carolina with my friend Valerie for a few days to visit a mutual friend we sold Pampered Chef with several years ago. While there we splurged and spent a day at the Biltmore Estate (www.biltmore.com) which was fascinating. Definitely a place I want to return to.
Other than these exciting things life has been mostly work and trying to come to terms with no longer being half of a couple. My head knows this change was for the best (X was emotionally abusive, controlling & demanding & manipulative) but my heart is still sad (I loved him in spite of his flaws), especially since he has clearly moved on and replaced me with someone else. On the upside I haven't had to see or talk to him in months, on the downside his "charming" sister ( my oldest son's motherinlaw) loves to talk about him and how awesome his life is every chance she gets. I would avoid her too but I promised my son that since we share a granddaughter I will not do that. So I struggle on.
I have been making positive changes, returning to weekly Mass attendance (even though it means sitting with son's inlaws as well as son, his wife, and granddaughter), spending a great deal of time with my friend Valerie who has been a rock, spending even more time with my grandchildren who live here, reading more, watching tv, going to the movies, the zoo, the parks with the kids & grandkids. I'm even spending more time with my extended family.
My biggest change has been my appearance. Over the last 11 months I have dropped 55 pounds. I am 21 away from original goal weight. And I feel fantastic.
I hate to admit it but my organizational skills have taken a hit though. The house has become sloppy, I've stopped menu planning and I barely go grocery shopping. All things which I am determined to change. I began yesterday by de-cluttering and giving the house a complete clean (except my bedroom which remains a mess). I will be making a menu for the rest of the month including meals which I will take to the hospital with me. I grocery shopped over the weekend as well. I will do a separate post on that.
I keep telling myself one step a day forward.

5 comments:

  1. So glad the surgery worked for you, and congratulations of the weight loss! I've lost about 11 lbs since my physical in Nov, so my new internist is happy. I'd like to see another 40 go as well. I strongly suspect that it is due to my leaving my job-just so stressful, with unreaistic demands, 'nough said. Great to see you blogging again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to see you blogging again as well. I check it every day for a new post. But I know how busy you are, so I wasn't overly worried. Although the longer it went without a post, I did start to get a tad more anxious. Happy to hear that your surgery was a success and very impressed with the weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to see you blogging again as well. I check it every day for a new post. But I know how busy you are, so I wasn't overly worried. Although the longer it went without a post, I did start to get a tad more anxious. Happy to hear that your surgery was a success and very impressed with the weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to see you blogging again! I'm sorry your relationship didn't work out - I'm sure you miss the companionship but not the emotional abuse. I hope life keeps getting better for you.

    ReplyDelete