Monday, April 6, 2015

Stocking the pantry

Food Pantry Clipart Collaborative food pantriesWith the hectic work schedule I was keeping during the six weeks of Lent plus some personal issues I was unable to find the time to grocery shop since the end of January. This is spring break week so I took the cash I had saved up and hit both Aldi and BJ's wholesale club today. I must be very cautious with my money in the future. My cafeteria work hours (my main source of income) have been cut by 7 1/2 hours a week (long story but the short version is administration went into a panic when I took 2 bereavement days and volunteers had to step in and help out..so office has decided to give these hours that were mine to an 'assistant'...this is a MAJOR hit to my paycheck over the course of a month). This cut means that we are eligible to receive assistance in the form of food stamps but I honestly do not want to do this. So I am in search of a 4th part time job to fill in the money gap. Things do not look good for being offered a position for next school year either (another long story) so the resume has been brushed off, letters of recommendation have been given to me, and I am actively searching just in case I find myself shown the door. I've never been in this position before. My parents always said if you were honest, reliable, and hard working you would be rewarded. Sadly not always the case. I am struggling with this as well as my mother-in-law's death and am not in a good place right now emotionally.
But that is not what this is supposed to be about. Groceries that is the topic.
I worked my cleaning job on Saturday so I had $208 in cash set aside for food/household supplies. My first stop was Aldi. I spent a total of $134.26
I brought home 2 packs of hamburger buns (discounted 50¢ for 2!!!), 2 bags frozen green beans, 2 bags frozen corn, 2 bags frozen peas, 2 bags frozen fire roasted balsamic veggies, 4 boxes 'rice a roni', 6 boxes Uncle Ben's white and wild rice mix, 1 box elbow macaroni, 1 3 lb. bag frozen boneless-skinless chicken thighs, 1 3 lb. bag blsl chicken breast, 1 boneless leg of lamb roast (seasonal special item), 1 box trash bags,  2 bottles coffee creamer, 4 cans diced tomatoes, 1 jar applesauce, 1 box toothpaste, 1 can mandarin oranges,  2 cans creamed corn, 1 bottle honey mustard, 2 packs of cheddar bratwurst, 1 box cotton swabs, 1 pint baby bella mushrooms, 10 lbs. russet potatoes, 1 cabbage, 2 bottles steak sauce, 1 bottle 100% cranberry juice, 2 bottles 100% apple juice 2 bottles ruby red grapefruit juice, 1 pint grape tomatoes, 1 bunch celery, 1 can pineapple chunks, 1 can coconut milk, 1 bag romaine hearts, 1 English cucumber, 1 quart lowfat cottage cheese, 1 bag spring mix, 1 bag spinach, 2 multi colored peppers, 1 bag on the vine tomatoes, 2 dozen eggs, 1 bag shredded mozzarella,, 1 bag shredded sharp cheddar, 1 bag dried cherries, 1 bag dried cranberries, 2 boxes au gratin potatoes, and 1 bag of pita chips.
My second stop was BJ's Wholesale club where I spent $98.23, $75 in cash and $23.23 on my Visa check card.
I brought home 1 12 pack of hot dog buns (all out at Aldi), one gallon organic milk, 1 2 pack of Smart Balance spread, a whole pork loin, a whole eye of round, a package of 4 lamb shoulder chops, a jar of pesto, a 1/2 lb. honey ham, 1 1/2 lb. beef bologna, 1 1/2 lb. hard salami, and 1 lb. swiss cheese.
I cut the eye round into a small roast plus 6 steaks. The pork loin became a 6 thin cutlets, a package of cubes, 12 pork chops, and a bag of thin cut pork strips for stir fry.  Menus for the remainder of the month to follow.

7 comments:

  1. nancy, i a, sorry that the school reacted as they did, not asking uyou to elaborate, it does sound like politics. did youb gtell the, that losing 30 hrs/month will kill your budget? sigh. be proactive as u have and trudge on, my best advice. stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nancy, the more i think about your circumstances, the more i feel you should accept SNAP now. should the worse come to pass and you lose your job at the school in 2 months, already being in the system should help and you would most liely be eligible for an increase in snap at that time. do your local farmers markets offer "doube bucks" as they do here? one turns in SNAP vouchers for double face value at the farmers market-an awesome program.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is terrible about the cut in pay. Wonder if that was their plan and you needing time off just pushed the issue? Hopefully the boss will realize what she did and changes her mind about the hours and the job in general. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. My condolences and I always thought every job offered some form of bereavement leave. Tough crowd.

    Good luck in your job search since I would probably leave whether the job was offered to me again or not. But, of course, that's just me.

    Good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Private school, no union, part time position = no official bereavement time...

      Delete
  5. Carol It is definitely 'politics' going on here and yes I explained what this meant for a single mom with two kids in college. It made no impact. I actually overheard someone saying how much the new assistant (who is married with a husband that works full time, has one small child who attends our private very pricey school, and works two part time jobs already 'needs' the money. Yes way more than the widowed mom with two kids in college. ::eye roll:: It is what it is and I have made what adjustments I can and am filling out those applications. Now that I finally received my first new amount paycheck I will be checking into that SNAP application as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nancy, you should be able to apply on line. your ttown social worker may be able to help as well good luck

    ReplyDelete