Sunday, August 4, 2013

Austerity August Day 4 & Beer Can Chicken

Having another $0 day here!! Spent the greatest portion of the day doing laundry for the GF and washing his kitchen/laundry room floor in exchange for a full tank of gas in the SUV. Bartering!! I am also deep into a murder mystery that I am highly enjoying.
Breakfast was coffee and the giant cinnamon rolls GF bought at the fair yesterday. He had to go into work for a few hours this morning and then help out a brother with something so I've been hanging out with the dog and finishing up my end of the barter bargain as well as watching the Indians on tv and reading.
Lunch was leftover spaetzle and cabbage from Friday night's dinner .
I have dinner all prepped for the two of us. Keeping my goal of using up what is on hand I brought along a roasting chicken from my house and Beer Can chicken is what's for dinner.
 Last year I purchased a grill roasting pan/beer can chicken set from Pampered Chef.   I've used the grill pan part numerous times but this will be my first time using the 'beer can' insert. I am seasoning up the roasting chicken with McCormack's Applewood seasoning blend that GF has in the cupboard. I plan on loosening the skin of the chicken and slipping half the seasoning under the skin. The rest will be dusted over the outside of the bird and in the cavity. GF doesn't have any beer in cans on hand but I saved an empty pop can and will pour in some bottled beer from the fridge.
The can goes into the insert and the seasoned chicken goes over the whole thing. I will cook this using indirect heat (GF's gas grill has an infrared heater on the back of it just for this type of cooking) the chicken will 'roast' for about 1-1 1/4 hours.
GF has boxed au gratin potatoes and canned corn in the cupboard which I will make to go along with the chicken.
Dessert is defrosting on the counter, a cherry strudel from the freezer. And our after dinner plan is to go for a short Sunday night drive, listening to some good music, talking, and just enjoying being together.

No comments:

Post a Comment