Thursday, August 29, 2013

Getting a Grip on Dinner

 The new working hours have required a tweak to my dinner preparation routines. I no longer have time to do a lot of prep when I get home from work so I have depended on the crockpot and quick cooking ideas so far.
On Monday I used my crockpot, seasoning and putting a brisket on a bed of sliced onion and worcestershire sauce and programming the cooker so that it would be done when I reached home. A couple of quick sides and we ate about 30 minutes after I reached home.
Tuesday my college age daughter L took some chicken breasts out of the freezer to defrost for me. I seasoned these up with some Penzey's Bicentennial Rub and then grilled them. White and wild rice and corn were quickly put together.
Last night I went with an idea from my menu plans, taking planned over brisket and combining it with cooked egg noodles and brown gravy to make beef and noodles. Daughter M stopped by with a couple of summer squash from her garden so I sliced and sauteed these in garlic butter for a side. Once again dinner in under 30 minutes.
Tonight is dinner date night and Friday is the first high school football game of the school year. Youngest son H is in the band so this will be a weekly event here. GF and I will eat at the game as we did last year. GF has agreed to join a Thursday night bowling league so beginning next week I will be at home making dinner.
I think I am slowly getting a grip on this new schedule. Over the weekend I will grab a pile of slow cooker and quick cooking cookbooks and put together menus for September!

No comments:

Post a Comment