Sunday, January 20, 2013

Weekend Happenings

Although we are anticipating a blast of arctic air out of Canada in the next couple of days we had a lovely spring like day yesterday with highs in the mid 50s. 
It was a nice quiet Saturday (i.e. no social obligations), a few chores got done, gentleman friend took us out  to Chipotle for lunch, we ran some errands and since it was getting late we picked up an already roasted chicken for dinner.  I love to roast my own chicken (usually way bigger than the done ones and far less expensive too) but these are a nice convenient option and far healthier than fast food would be.
Scrounging around in GF's pantry cupboard and fridge I came up with 3/4 of a bag of kluski noodles (that I cooked and buttered then seasoned with salt and pepper) and the fixins for 'Hawaiian' coleslaw for sides.
The coleslaw is simply a mixture of shredded cabbage and carrots,Ready Pac® Coleslaw - Bagged Salads, Salad Bags, Shredded Cabbage ... Marzetti light slaw dressing marzetti light slaw dressing 15 oz gluten free and a well drained can of crushed pineapple Dole Canned Fruit: Crushed In 100% Pineapple Juice Pineapple, 20 Oz.

A really nice dinner if I say so myself and a evening spent talking and watching a little tv together.

I do a cooked breakfast on Sunday mornings and GF had some organic bacon in the freezer which I popped into the electric skillet and cooked up. He also had several slices of a loaf of bread that needed to be used before it was too late so I whipped up some beaten egg & milk with a pinch of sugar and cinnamon in it and made french toast to go along with the bacon. Coffee rounded out the meal.
Once breakfast was out of the way I took the remains of the roast chicken, added onion, garlic, celery, carrots, parsley and a bit of marjoram and put it in the slow cooker covering it all with water.
It will cook on high until the evening. GF had a death in the family so we will be heading to the wake at the funeral home this afternoon and then plan on joining other family members for an early dinner out somewhere.
The stock I am making will be put into the fridge where after tomorrow's funeral service I will skim off the fat bring it to a boil, add more carrots and egg noodles and serve it for a late lunch. GF will also have the leftovers for one of his weeknight meals.

2 comments:

  1. Good scrounging around to cobble together a good meal out of nothing! I love when that works out. Chicken soup will be a blessing, we are also expecting lows of 5 degrees F come Tuesday morning. Brr. I made a large pot of turkey mini meatball soup yesterday, using homemade stock from the holidays that I froze in quart Ball jars. It'll be appreciated at lunch this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like my kind of weekend Nancy. Sorry to hear your friend had a death in his family. Blessings to you all.

    Gail

    ReplyDelete