Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Year's Day Dinner

Happy New Years | Images & Quotes
We spent a quiet day yesterday doing some reading, blogging, laundry, and taking a nice drive in the car. Of course before we left the house I put together our traditional New Year's Day Dinner: Pork and Sauerkraut with  mashed potatoes.
Trying a new recipe I put together pork roast, sauerkraut, two apples, a handful of brown sugar and added my own twist of seasoning the pork roast with dried sage and marjoram leaves.  I browned the roast first on top of the stove and then discovered that it wouldn't fit into the crockpot.
I pulled out a covered roaster and set the oven to 250 for a long slow cook.
After several hours in the oven I peeled and cut up potatoes and got those cooking on top of the stove.
 Once these were cooked through I pulled out my handy ricer and ran the cooked potatoes through it, mashing them with a slotted spoon and then beating smart balance and milk into them.
My plate of pork roast, sauerkraut, and mashed potatoes was a warm and satisfying dinner start to the New Year!
 

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I had the same thing, although I coated my pork with flour, plain breadcrumbs, garlic and onion powder, basil, oregano, rosemary, salt and pepper before browning it on the stove. Then I put it into a pan with the sauerkraut, covered, and cooked at 425 for an hour. I have enough leftover for my lunch tomorrow. I also made carrots with butter and brown sugar and mashed potatoes.

    ReplyDelete