Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Small Shopping and last night's dinner

10 key job hunting lessons I’ve learnt from going back to workYesterday was my first day back to work from a two week vacation and I  have to confess I was more than ready to get back in the saddle. Wanting to be more organized this year (a goal I have set for myself) I made a list of things to accomplish after the workday. On my list were a stop at the farmer's market and a run to BJs for the organic milk I intended to buy Saturday but never did.  I found out however as I pulled into their parking lot that the farmer's market is closed until January 14th, the owners taking a two week vacation themselves. So off to BJ's I went. I figured I could get the produce I wanted there just as easily. I spent a grand total of $32.93 and came home with a gallon of organic 1% milk (and was pleasantly surprised to see the price had dropped to $6.49 from $7), a half gallon of Breyer's Vanilla ice cream, 1/2gallon of organic orange-peach-mango juice, 2 lbs lemons, 5lbs. sweet onions, 8 lbs. red grapefruit and 5 lbs. clementines. Lots of vitamin rich citrus products to help me fight the lingering cold!
Dinner was a minor change from my menu plan. I'd intended to do a new recipe for a curried vegetable soup from yet another new Gooseberry Patch cookbook I was gifted with at Christmas but with the market closed and no eggplant to be found at BJs I will push this back a couple of weeks. Instead I reviewed my menu plans and chose to get a corned beef from Aldi out of the freezer and cook that instead. corned beef slicedNot having any cabbage in the house for the side dish I had planned on I went ahead and just did simple buttered egg noodles and then a fresh salad. I had romaine lettuce, carrots and grape tomatoes all on hand and needing to use up the lettuce before it went bad I opted for this.

1 comment: