Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Farmer's Market and Soup's On!

Today is going to be a busy day and I have to head back out to my bowling league tonight  so I combined two of my favorite cooking styles together to make dinner prep easier; I dragged out my crockpot, reviewed my menu plans, and decided on soup for dinner. Tonight it is going to be Mediterranean Lentil Soup which I will serve with homemade Honey Wheat rolls.
After dropping my youngest daughter at the high school (son is down with what may be the flu) I returned home to get that soup in the crockpot and eat my daily bowl of oatmeal before heading out to my own job.
On my way home from work I stopped at the Farmer's Market for a few things. I am doing the pantry challenge as much as possible but we were just about out of fresh produce and I needed to restock. I spent $28.02 and bought a small bunch of fresh parsley, a small bunch of fresh basil (both needed for the vinaigrette added at the end of the soup's cooking time), an 8 lb bag of navel oranges, a bunch of bananas, 6 turnips, a cabbage, a large eggplant (needed for a new soup recipe I'm trying next week), three red bell peppers, a bunch of celery, 2 lbs. carrots, 1 lb. baby carrots, a container of sun dried tomatoes, and a jar of locally produced cherry jam. Next weekend I will need to pick up laundry detergent and fabric softener as well as items needed for my youngest son's birthday party but this should complete all the regular food shopping I need to do this month. Along with the soup I'd planned on some homemade honey wheat rolls but had 8 Italian dinner rolls leftover from lunch service that I could not reheat and use again so I brought them home to have with the soup!
Mediterranean Lentil Soup Photo Mediterranean Lentil Soup (Easy Home Cooking cookbooklet)
2 tbl. oil
1 large onion, diced
1 stalk celery, chopped (we like more celery so I used three)
2 large garlic cloves, pressed
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes (I used 2 14.5 oz cans)
1 1/2 cup dried lentils (soaked for 1 hour, drained and rinsed, I never do this step)
1 tbl. tomato paste
1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
2 bay leaves
6 cups beef broth
(I add some freshly ground pepper as well)
In a medium skillet heat oil, add celery, onion, garlic and cook for 5 minutes to soften them up. Add to a slow cooker along with tomatoes, lentil, tomato paste, thyme, bay leaves and beef broth. Set crockpot to low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours. OR you can skip the veggie sauteing and the soaking of the lentils and cook on low 8 1/2 hours or on high 4 1/2 hours until the lentils are tender. I usually do the 8 1/2 s on low.
Vinaigrette:
3/4 cup packed fresh basil
2 tbl. chopped fresh parsley
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tbl. red wine vinegar ( I prefer to use a white balsamic in my soup)
Combine vinaigrette ingredients in a blender or food processor (I use my little bullet) until smooth. Stir into soup just before serving.

1 comment:

  1. Love lentil soup! Perfect weather for that here now, as we are bracing for a snow/ice/cold rain storm. School/work looks really iffy for tomorrow.
    Thanks for posting and sharing that recipe.

    ReplyDelete