Friday, January 4, 2013

Table for one!

Last night was one of those dinner situations that crop up occasionally around here where the plan goes by the wayside. Generally Thursday's are dinner date night and the kids do a make your own night. This week though because the holiday was on a Tuesday my gentleman friend and I chose to skip our regular Thursday night together. After all we'll be together at the weekend anyway.
Just as I was contemplating getting the pork cubes I'd planned on using out of the freezer for the kids and I my two teens called to ask if it was ok if they each had dinner with their respective boyfriend/girlfriend. I saw no reason to say no, I knew both sets of parents will make sure homework is completed and the kids returned at a reasonable hour for a school night.
That left my middle son who told me not to worry about dinner for him, he thought he'd grab something out with friends.
Well ok. Table for one it is. Digging around in the freezer I came up with one lonely eye of round steak, I grabbed some jasmine rice from the cupboard and the fresh spinach, grape tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella from the fridge. I put together a salad using the spinach, tomatoes and cheese and topped it with Garlic Expressions dressing. I steamed the rice with a little smart balance and since I was making rice anyway I doubled the amount and put the remainder in the fridge for a special breakfast treat for the morning. I seasoned the steak with Montreal steak blend and cooked it in the stove top grill pan.
Delicious and made totally from ingredients on hand!


No comments:

Post a Comment