Thursday, January 17, 2013

Off the Menu plan: Quiche

Yesterday was one of those super busy days that happen once in a while. Not only  did I put in a full day at work I had almost three hours of work to do at  home so that next month's lunch packets would be ready to go home today in the backpack mail. In addition both the teens were gone, daughter to work, son to a band rehearsal for an upcoming concert, and middle son was working late. Nothing appealed to me on my menu plan either. After debating my options I settled on making a small  crustless quiche (also known as a timbale) and chose caramelized onions and spinach for fillings. Thanks to blogger for continuing to not let me upload photos from my computer so I will do the best I can here with some generic internet ones.

In a medium skillet I sauteed two sweet onions in some smart balance until they were a nice caramel color. I got out my small stoneware baker from Pampered Chef Mini-Ston...and added the onions.
 ... ?: st.... In a medium sized bowl I beat 6 eggs with about 1/4 cup of milk, added a pinch of nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon of chervil, and a grinding of black pepper. Then I shredded a block of New York sharp cheddar I'd bought at Aldi and ran some hot water over a cup of frozen spinach to defrost it quickly. Both of these items I added to the egg mixture. I poured the entire thing over the onions and mixed it well.
I baked the 'quiche' in a pan filled with hot water in a 350 oven for 45 minutes until it was set and cooked through.
It was quite delicious and enough dinner for myself and middle son who reheated the leftovers!


1 comment:

  1. Nancy, Blogger has been cranky for a while. If you go thru google chrome, you WILL be able to upload photos from your computer.
    HTH

    ReplyDelete