Friday, July 26, 2013

Restocking from the flood & considering August's grocery list

Stocking the pantry - Tips for storing canned, bottled and dried goods ...  As I may have mentioned I lost an entire large bag full of boxed goods in the recent flooding in our basement.  How I never noticed it sitting on the floor instead of on the pantry shelf I just don't know (son who took this to the basement & I have had a talk about never leaving this kind of thing on the floor in the future). In any case the bag was stocked with mostly pastas along with a box of crackers and two containers of oatmeal. I will get more oatmeal when I do the August shop but since we are big pasta eaters here and I was out and about near GFS yesterday I decided to go ahead and replace the pasta (except the spaghetti and elbow mac from Aldi) I lost right away.
$30 later we have enough pasta to last us at least two months. I came home with:
1 5 lb. bag medium seashell pasta
1 5 lb. bag medium cut egg noodles
1 2 1/2 lb. bag orrechetti
1 3 lb. bag Amish wide kluski egg noodles
1 2 1/2 lb. bag linguine
1 2 1/2 lb. bag bowties

A stop at Target and I acquired a large plastic bin for $7.99. The pastas will go inside the bin which will then go on the bottom shelf of the pantry. This should give it double protection against any moisture.
I am looking ahead to August's grocery shopping and will focus on mostly fresh food items. We need no more canned or bottled goods except for juice. I will pick up oatmeal since the open container is almost empty and the 'backups' were flooded out but this and sugar should be the only dry goods I need this month. The rest will be proteins, dairy, and fresh produce. It looks like a short list which is good as well. I will be returning to work mid August but the paychecks won't start showing up until the end of the month. I am hoping to keep grocery expenses to under $200.

1 comment:

  1. Good planning and prevention for future, possible "oops" moments.

    ReplyDelete