Sunday, July 7, 2013

Mom's Macaroni Salad

Macaroni Salad  Yesterday my sister M and brother in law B celebrated 50 years of married bliss. Their daughters planned a huge celebration and as is common in our family we all pitched in with a dish. I was asked to bring Mom's Macaroni salad. Since about 120 guests were expected when I grocery shopped I picked up a couple of 2 pound boxes of macaroni at Aldi as well as the celery and onions I needed. I already had a couple of extra jars of Miracle Whip (our family's preferred condiment for this salad)in the pantry and eggs on hand.
Friday I spent a good portion of the day at my sister's house helping with food prep and set up then went home to make this salad for the next day. I probably could have gotten way with half the amount I made since there was a ton leftover, but then as is also common we all made way more food than we needed for this party. On the upside all of us have some leftovers to eat off of today and several dishes will go in the freezer and reappear at my daughter L's graduation party in two weeks!

Mom's Macaroni Salad:

 10-12 side dish servings

1 lb. elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions, drained and rinsed with cold water
2 ribs of celery, chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped fine
2 eggs, hard boiled, whites and yolks separated after cooking
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cider vinegar
1 tsp. prepared yellow mustard
1/4 large jar of Miracle Whip

Place cooked macaroni, chopped celery, pickle relish, and chopped onion in a large bowl. Chop cooked egg whites and add to macaroni combination. In a small bowl mashed cooked egg yolks, add salt, pepper, cayenne, prepared mustard, cider vinegar and Miracle Whip and combine well. Add dressing to the macaroni mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate before serving.
* Notes: For added color a bit of chopped red bell pepper or shredded carrot can be added to the salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment