Thursday, July 25, 2013

Homemade Waffles & Strawberry sauce

Heart Shaped Waffles with Strawberries Clip Art - Royalty Free Clipart ... Today for breakfast I pulled out a recipe that is a combination of one my sister gave me when I was first married and one I came across several years after that in a local newspaper. It is our go to favorite for both waffles and pancakes. The ingredients are the same but the preparation is slightly different. In order to reduce saturated fat and calories in this I generally substitute Smart Balance spread for the butter and use either 1% or fat free milk. I have also subbed half the sugar for Truvia (the only time I tried it with all stevia we did not care for the flavor but half works well). When making pancakes I've also used eggbeaters in place of whole eggs.
Basic Waffles (or pancakes):
2 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
Separate the eggs and beat the whites until stiff, set aside.
Combine remaining ingredients, including egg yolks together into a smooth batter.
Fold in egg whites immediately before cooking.

Cook on  preheated waffle iron.
For pancakes you do not need to separate the eggs, just add whole egg to remaining ingredients and combine.
 
This morning I am going to top these with sliced and sugared strawberries and some whipped cream before serving.
Leftovers will be cooled and bagged and frozen for quick 'toaster waffles' another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment