Wednesday, July 3, 2013

July's Major Grocery shopping trip

Shopping cart with food - vector clip art   This being a super busy week (free orchestra concert & fireworks Monday night, cleaning on Tuesday, parade & festival on Wesdnesday night, July4th picnic Thursday, take daughter & grandson L to doctor again on Friday etc.) I knew I had to take advantage of a pretty much free schedule during the day on Monday and get the grocery shopping done. I needed stuff to pack for the concert that night and also supplies for our 4th picnic. Daughter K also needed to do some grocery shopping and with a new baby plus a 5 year old she was hesitant to go alone. I picked the group up and we decided we'd go to 4 different stores, all close to each other.
Our first stop was for K who needed to get a few things at Target. I didn't get any household or food there but I did pick up a few things that I will cover in my end of week expenses report.
My grocery shopping started at BJ's (in the same shopping plaza as Target). While K nursed baby L in the car grandson J and I shared my shopping experience. I spent $133.93 all on food. I brought home a 6 pack of solid white tuna in water, 10 lbs. of red potatoes (my preference for potato salad), a 48 oz box of cheezits, a 2 pck of Smart Balance, a 64 oz jug of soy sauce, 1 gallon of organic 1% milk, 6 lbs. vidalia onions, 2 lb. bag of frozen shrimp, a 6 pack of lamb shoulder chops, 3 lbs. of ground sirloin, 1 18pck hot dog buns, 1 18 pck hamburger buns, 1 lb. german bologna, 1 lb. hard salami, 1 lb. honey ham, 1/2 lb. roast turkey  breast. and finally 2 bags of Doritos.
Our next stop was Aldi. I spent a total of $11.35, $ 33.56 on nonfood household items (2 large reusable shopping bags, 1 box tampons for teen daughter, 1 bottle glass cleaner, 1 bottle body wash, 1 tube toothpaste, 1 bottle hand soap, and 1 8 pck. paper towels) and the remainder of $ 77.79 on food.
I came home with: 1 bag garlic/cheese croutons, 3 bags chips, 1 bag cheese puffs, 1 canister pretzel rods, 1 loaf bread, 1 3 pck. gum, 2 2lb. boxes macaroni, 1 box raisin bran, 2 boxes au gratin potatoes, 1 container sun dried tomato & basil feta cheese, 1 64 oz. apple juice, 1 64. oz 100% cranberry juice, 1 container coffee creamer, 1 6 pck. Hershey bars, 3 lbs. bananas, 1 bunch celery, 1 can crushed pineapple, 3 Arizona green teas, 1 64 oz. ruby red grapefruit juice, 1 64 oz. 100% grape juice, 1 can frozen oj, 1 jar cinnamon applesauce, 2 cans diced tomatoes, 1 pineapple, 1 pack string cheese, 1 bunch asparagus, 1 box taco shells, 2boxes 'slim jims', 1 packet taco seasoning, 1 packet dry Italian dressing mix, 1 packet dry ranch dressing mix, 6 yogurts, 1 pck sliced provolone cheese, 1 pint light sour cream, 1 quart lowfat cottage cheese, 1 cantaloupe, 1 can black olives, 1 jar green olives, 1 can diced tomatoes w/ jalapeno pepper, 2 boxes chocolate pudding, 1 pck. sliced muenster cheese, 1 box 'bisquick' style baking mix, 1 bag shredded mozzarella, and 1 pck. 8 in. flour tortillas.
Our final stop was a little family Italian deli/shop called DiStefano's that my daughter loves. She shops there so often they all know grandson J by name and were excited to see new baby L. (Seriously all the employees including the owner were gathered around to admire the baby and make a fuss over J for being a big brother.). I picked up a large round of their homebaked bread, 1 lb. of their made Italian sausage, and a 6 pack of Italian imported beer that GF tried at dinner last Friday night and really liked. Total cost: $18.
Yesterday I made a special stop back at BJ's to pick up a luxury treat for our 4th of July picnic. We actually spend the entire day at the picnic grounds, beginning with breakfast (I am mixing up pancake batter and taking sausage links from the freezer and we will have pancakes & sausages), through lunch (burgers or dogs, chips, pickles) and ending with dinner. After a discussion with GF we decided we wanted to do something special so I spent $33 and picked up 6 ginormous strip steaks for our group (myself, GF, adult son J, both teens L & H plus their significant others and teen daughter invited a girl friend to join us) . I will leave 4 of them whole for the guys and cut the other two in half for us ladies who do not eat so much.

In summary I spent $ 262.72 on food out of our $350 budget and $ 35.56 on nonfood household items out of the $75 budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment