Sunday, July 14, 2013

Day of Reckoning

  It is that time again to take a really hard look at the financial picture. It was an expensive week, no doubt about it, and I 'm pretty embarrassed to report on it. While we did take advantage of our zoo membership, our season passes to the waterpark, and the $5 Tuesdays at the movies the expense for food at these locations broke the bank. This week while we plan to do the waterpark and the movies yet again there will be a picnic packed to the waterpark and no snacks bought at the movies. Next Sunday is my daughter's graduation party so I will be spending some money on this (budgeted for already though), so all unnecessary spending is at an end I feel like I have said this more than once, sigh ). I will be bringing in some cash this week through cleaning. This is  earmarked though towards the amount owed for teen daughter L's fall semester of college. She just found out this week that her application had been accepted and she is going to be attending a local college and living at home. She got a tremendous financial aid package that will cover almost the entire amount of tuition and fees. She will pick up the cost of books and incidentals and I promised to cover the amount for tuition not paid for by the aid. This is due by August 1st but is such a minimal amount that this week's cleaning will cover almost all of it!
So here is the ugly truth about this week's spending:
 7/7: $0
7/8: $ 21.72 on gas for SUV; $10 at Farmer's Market
7/9;$5 for movies; $15 on popcorn/pop
7/10: $36 for food at waterpark for myself, son H & Son's girlfriend
7/11:$48 for food at waterpark for myself, daughter L, her boyfriend, son H & girlfriend
7/12: $48.28 on gas for SUV (we did A LOT of driving this week) $ 25 on food at the zoo; $48 at zoo gift shop
7/13: $50 on graduation gift for daughter L's boyfriend (GF and I went to another church festival after attending the graduation party where I ended up winning back what I spent on the graduation gift as well as coming home with $20 more in my pocket than I went there with due to instant bingo winnings)

Like I said a really expensive week.

1 comment:

  1. Nancy, fantastic new about L's college situation. Against my better judgement, my DD went away to school and has racked up some serious debt. I really can't help her with that, and she is taking some time off from school now. Time for a reality check I fear. : (
    Have you ever tried an envelope system for expenditures such as recreation? I've never used it, but for those who have, they have reported that they have been control vs simply keeping tabs in a notebook, as once the envelope is empty, that's it. Added, too, is that forking over actual cash vs swiping a card if far more painful. We are a family that never goes to the movies. Simply too expensive around here. The rare occasion when we would frequent a movie theater was due to being gifted certificates to attend. Concession stand-no, 'mam. While you can pack a lunch to the park, is it not allowed at the zoo? I assume so. I would therefor go after lunch or right after bfst, depending upon how long you plan on staying, to avoid that expense. Depending upon location, perhaps you can pack a lunch, either go to a park and eat then the zoo or the other way around.
    Good luck! Just pick your feet up and move on, trying to find ways to stop habits that sabotage your financial goals. Not always easy, and no one is perfect. : )

    ReplyDelete