Sunday, July 14, 2013

What we've been eating....

While out and about spending money like I'm growing it on trees in the backyard during the day I have been sticking pretty closely to the menu plans for dinner and being frugal at breakfast time as well. It was a busy week for me and that was without any cleaning gigs. I drove daughter K and her boys around on errands on Monday (her car was in at the mechanic), did the waterpark twice, the zoo once, ran up to the library, and went to the movies during the week and then yesterday attended college orientation with youngest daughter L as well as her boyfriend's grad party and then a church festival with GF. I guess I could consider this as making the most of the time off I have this summer.  This week isn't slowing down much either, another waterpark trip planned for Monday (and GF and I are considering a couple hours there today too since the temps are going to be close to 90), movies on Tuesday, cleaning on Wednesday then shopping for daughter L's grad party, baking for grad party on Thursday, rest of shopping (meat & buns) for grad party on Friday, cleaning then another church festival on Saturday and finally daughter L's grad party next Sunday.

In any case I blogged last Tuesday about the Vidalia Onion Pie we had for dinner. Since we'd planned on the waterpark for Wednesday I thought ahead about dinner, looked over my menus, and settled on Asian Summer salad for that night. Wednesday morning I popped a couple of boneless skinless chicken breasts seasoned with Asian seasoning blend in some water in my microcooker and zapped them until done. While cooking some linguine, I used my Pampered Chef julienne cutter to cut up carrots and a zucchini into strips and diced a red bell pepper. I tossed the cooled chicken, veggies and cooked and cooled linguine together and added some roasted peanuts. Then I grated some fresh ginger, pressed some fresh garlic, and added oil, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and black pepper to this mixing well. I poured the dressing over the pasta mixture and put the entire thing in a covered bowl in the refrigerator for later on.
Our day at the waterpark got cut short due to severe storms but since the rain did nothing but increase the humidity it was nice to have that meal ready and waiting.
Thursday we took an unplanned return trip to the waterpark but since it was dinner date night and GF suggested he take me out I knew that leftovers of onion pie and summer salad would work for the kids.
Friday night I settled on the spaghetti and meatball menu altering it slightly and making a meat sauce instead.
And of course yesterday's dinner was party food at the grad party we attending followed by a few things shared with GF at the festival.

1 comment: