Thursday, January 2, 2014

New Year's Day Dinner

It has been my family's tradition (carried down from my German relatives) to eat pork and sauerkraut for good luck and prosperity in the coming year on New Year's Day. I do not remember a single January 1st of my entire life when this meal wasn't on the table. (Mom also used to eat pickled herring right after midnight, also for luck. I don't do the pickled herring thing. I actually like pickled herring, just haven't eaten it since I was in my teens. ) According to Mom the pork was for prosperity and the cabbage for luck.
In any case I just cannot imagine this day without this meal. This year I decided to do some country style spare ribs instead of the usual pork roast. GF picked up a nice package of these on our last shopping trip to BJs for his house. I pulled these out of the freezer and the bag of 'fresh' sauerkraut we'd also purchased there from the refrigerator.
I layered the pork over the kraut, seasoned the ribs with a bit of black pepper, sage, and rosemary. GF and I are both on a campaign to lower our respective blood pressures (not dangerous just higher than we'd like them to be) so I skipped the salt. I figured the sauerkraut was going to add a nice acidic touch to the dish so salt was unnecessary. It was ready for the oven!


I turned the oven to 350 and put the pan in for 45 minutes uncovered to allow the ribs to brown. After this time I covered the pan with foil and left the ribs to finish cooking for another hour and a half.

I had a bit of a surprise when I went to prep the potatoes, the bag that we'd bought for GF's house somehow ended up at my house and we only had three small potatoes left. A quick look in GF's pantry cupboard and I unearthed a bag of egg noodles. So buttered and peppered egg noodles it would be.  A can of corn (GF requested this in place of the planned on carrots) rounded out the meal.
GF's plate looked mighty tasty if not very colorful.

No comments:

Post a Comment