Friday, January 17, 2014

Getting back into the rythmn...

This  It has been a hectic 10 days since returning to school following our snow days off. To top off the busy-ness of my 11 hour work days (government inspection coming up means a pile of paperwork to complete plus menus for next month to get done and lunch packets to be assembled on top of all the regular stuff) so of course I came down with a cold/flu virus last week that totally wiped me out and meant I missed a day at my aftercare job. Generally I get sick at the holidays but not this year. This year I waited until almost the worst possible time. <sigh>
Not a good thing after missing out on 2 days due to the weather. The bank account is taking a real hit here. Knowing that things were going to be super tight I went in to my twice weekly cleaning job despite feeling very much under the weather. I had some automatic bill deductions coming up and that money needed to be in the bank. Thank goodness I have this little 3rd job.
After a weekend of rest I felt more human. Good thing since this week I did two 'make and take' baking classes with some of the aftercare group. I get paid extra for these so a nice little check will be coming my way shortly. I also have so much fun with the kids when we do this. We did mini pizzas this time. I picked up already prepared balls of pizza dough , sauce, cheese, and pepperoni and each child got to make two mini pizzas all by themselves and take them home to bake. The participants aren't allowed to eat what they make while at aftercare and cold pizza really isn't that appetizing so this time they took their projects home and baked them. I got the biggest kick out of the little kindergartener who insisted on showing me her baked pizza that she'd brought for lunch the next day. Precious.
Feeling under the weather meant I was in no shape to shop or spend money (and since we had OTC meds stored up I didn't even have to spend money on releiving my symptoms).
No additional food shopping has been done either. Dinners have either been from the planned menus (we've had Mediterranean Lentil soup, eye of round, beef & noodle soup, honey glazed chicken, spaghetti & meatballs & country ribs) or last minute substitutions (baked mac & cheese in place of crockpot mac & cheese, a roasted pineapple rum glazed pork tenderloin in place of the stuffed tenderloin) or entirely new ideas from items already in the house (grilled lamb chops, baked pork chops) and one night we went to my oldest son's house for dinner! So far my eating out budget has stayed at $0.
There has also been no additional expenditures beyond what is necessary. Inother words I put gas in the SUV and that is all. The only driving has been to and from work, my one grocery shopping trip, and to son's and back (which is 4 miles round trip) and to GF's and home. In other words, the usual.
Today is a scheduled teacher inservice which means no work for me. And with Monday as a federal holiday it is a 4 day weekend. I have laundry going on and I finished my federal and state tax returns and are happy with the refund results. As always I will use a portion of the federal return to pay my property taxes. The remainder will go into the bank. We will need this money come this summer for living and travel expenses . House cleaning and then heading out to GF's for Saturday-Sunday is also on the schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment