Saturday, January 4, 2014

January Grocery Shopping

grocery_cart_1 clipart - grocery_cart_1 clip art  The weather was finally co-operative today allowing me to get out and about and take care of a few errands.
I had an 8 a.m. appointment for a haircut and that was my first order of business. My usual 'girl' is on maternity leave (new baby boy congrats to her!) and another 'girl' from the salon took care of me. I came away quite pleased. Same cut, not too short.
Since I was up and out and the sun was shining I went directly to do the grocery shopping.
My first stop was GFS. I had to pick up some salad fixins for school on Monday, food delivery doesn't happen until Tuesday and I have several salads already pre-ordered. I also needed frozen veggies for home. I spent $23.85 and brought home 1 2 1/2 lb . bag of peas, 2 2 lb. bags broccoli florets, 1 3 lb. bag sweet corn, 1 2 lb. bag cut green beans, 1 2 lb. bag Brussels sprouts. I also purchased a new reusable thermal bag to replace the one that got destroyed in our recent flood.

My next stop was BJ's Wholesale Club. I was looking for a cottage ham but struck out there on that. I spent $37.65 on food and $21.38 on nonfood household items (paper towels, a sympathy card, and a magazine). Food wise I brought home 1 gallon of 1% organic milk,  1 48 oz box cheezit crackers, 1 case fruit greek yogurt, 8 lbs. ruby red grapefruits, and 5 lbs. sweet onions.  No sooner did I load up my SUV and drive away did I remember the flour, sugar, mouthwash, and hard salami I'd intended to purchase. GF needed to get some meat and milk for his house so a second trip to BJ's was made later in the afternoon. On that trip I spent $9.71 on a 2 pack of Crest pro-health mouthwash and another $13.97 on flour, sugar, and hard salami.

My final morning stop was at Aldi. I spent $18.32 on taxable items that included cranberry-pomegranate juice cocktail and ruby red grapefruit juice cocktail, trash bags, and tissues as well as two re-useable shopping bags to again replace ones that got ruined in the flooding.
Food-wise I spent $107.71 and brought home 6 slim jims (treats for the kids), 1 boneless leg of lamb roast (a special purchase item that I will tuck away in the freezer), a package of mild Italian sausage, 2 jars of sweet pickles (a treat for GF who loves them). 2 cans mandarin oranges, 1 100% apple juice, 1 100% cherry juice, 2 bottles steak sauce, 1 bottle ranch dressing, 1 3 pack garlic, 1 bottle spicy brown mustard, 1 bottle honey mustard, 1 jar nacho cheese, 1 cabbage, 2 lbs. carrots, 1 lb. organic baby carrots, 1 bunch celery, 1 bunch bananas, 1 bag granny smith apples, 1 bag lemons, 1 bag navel oranges, 1 pomegranate, 4 multi colored peppers, 1 English cucumber, 1 carton Guava-Mango juice, 1 bag spring greens, 1 bag romaine lettuce, 1 bag spinach, 1 pint mushrooms, 2 coffee creamer (one for home, one for GF's house) 1 hazelnut coffee creamer (for GF's house), 1 quart light cottage cheese, 1 pint low fat sour cream, 1 bag shredded cheddar cheese, 1 package string cheese, 2 packs chocolate pudding cups, 2 packages mixed fruit cups, 1 dozen eggs, 2 bags dried cherries, 1 pint organic cherry tomatoes, 2 bags chips, 1 bag tortilla chips, 2 bags veggie straws, 1 box saltines, and 1 bag oyster crackers.

I made a second afternoon stop at Target for nonfood household items. I was all out of hair gel and used the last of the deodorant I had at GF's house so I replaced those items, I also picked up dish soap (none at Aldi..no Dollar Tree near GF's house), carpet deodorizer, hydrogen peroxide (52¢), and a box of Estroven (6 months after my hot flashes stop they've started up with a vengeance yet again, <sigh>). Total cost out the door $ 26.94

In summary I spent a total of $183.18 (nicely under the $200 limit I set myself) for food and $ 76.35 over the limit of $50 I set myself.
I also remembered as soon as I got everything stowed away that I wanted to do pictures this month of my purchases. Oh well, maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment