Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Projects!

... clip art icon, stock clipart icons, logo, line art, pictures, graphicYesterday, today, and Thursday are going to be devoted to getting my list of projects shortened. I have not felt at all productive on the homefront since vacation started, although I don't feel as if I have not been busy on other things. Wednesday this week will be spent at youngest son's college orientation day.
Yesterday my project du jour was to empty, wash out and then organize the cabinet in which I keep my spices, baking supplies, and teas. Of course as so often happens one thing led to another projectwise. This cabinet is pulling away from the wall at the top for some reason so adult son who didn't work yesterday figured if I was emptying it out anyway he wanted to get to it and re-secure it to the wall. I totally emptied everything out of the cabinet, washed the shelves and interior walls and then son did his thing. Sadly he discovered the reason the cabinet is pulling away is there is no stud to attach the screws to. He put an anchor in and did his best but there is still a slight gap at the top between wall and cabinet. The shelves in these cabinets (all of them) have also began to sink in the middle over the years. He turned all the shelves upside down and told me to put the heaviest items in the center where the shelves now curve upward. The weight should eventually make them level again. I can see that this is going to lead to a whole new series of projects, son commented that he was going to start buying unfinished new cabinets one at a time to replace the budget oak ones we have now. The entire kitchen is in bad shape. The ceiling has holes from the bathroom remodel and the second floor porch leak (adult son tore off porch and rebuilt porch floor sealing it good against leaking last week) and needs to be totally torn out and redone. Floor is cheap vinyl, 18 years old, and in horrible shape. Adult son said it is time to replace ceiling and flooring and we might as well then do the cabinets and countertops. We have a nice stainless double sink in a box down cellar that he got free somewhere so we will change that out as well. Of course all of this will take time so I don't expect anything except the ceiling tear out to happen within the next couple of months. After all he still has to build the new railings around the upstairs porch in his 'free' time. And speaking of the porch, adult son also loaded up the entire bed of his pickup yesterday and hauled all the rubble away. $20 at the landfill to get rid of this.
As for the cabinet project once I shop vac'ed the sawdust from the re-securing up I then organized all the stuff as I put it back in. Top shelf is all baking supplies, middle shelf is large bulk containers of spices as well as my collection of Pampered Chef & Penzey's rubs and spice combos. Bottom shelf is single herbs and spices, alphabetized on one side and all my teas on the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment