Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Quick and Easy

Let me begin by saying no not my dating style. LOL. Tuesday nights are hectic for me. It is my bowling league night and last year I ate at the bowling alley every week. Not good for my wallet, my waistline, or my cholesterol. This year I have been making a simple meal at home. Generally the kids are all gone at dinner time either working or at the significant other's homes on Tuesday night. For the most part I've been eating on the fly, leftovers just reheated or sandwiches or even on a couple of occasions oatmeal. Last night I didn't want the two pieces of leftover fried chicken nor did I feel like cereal or a sandwich. Instead I pulled a salmon fillet out of the freezer, defrosted it, and seasoned it simply with Penzey's Greek Seasoning.  I set it aside and steamed a single helping of basmati rice  from the 15 pound bag I purchased at BJ's wholesale club months ago (this bag of rice will last a year). I put together a simple salad of romaine lettuce, cucumber, and tomatoes with an oil and balsamic vinegar dressing. I dabbed the rice with a bit of Smart Balance and freshly ground sea salt and pepper. I ran the salmon under the broiler and dinner was ready and on the table in 20 minutes.
And the best part was I wasn't even tempted by the plate of nachos the team we bowled next to was enjoying!

No comments:

Post a Comment