Monday, April 8, 2013

April Grocery shopping

... hunting lessons I’ve learnt from going back to work | Mildred TalabiIt was back to work today. Afterwards I decided that today would be the perfect opportunity to get out and get that grocery shopping completed. The weather was beautiful, sunny and low 70s, so I went directly shopping from work.
We love shopping for food - it can be an adventure into something new ...
My monthly budget for food is $350. Nonfood household items is $100.

I am going to be well under the household items budget. Even though I now have to replace my kitchen mop. It snapped in half while my teen dd L was mopping the hardwood floors today. I love when L gets in these cleaning moods. Even if it costs me a mop or two.
I spent at total of $62.87 on household items between BJ's and Aldi. I picked up laundry detergent, fabric softener, and a large box of Swiffer dusters at BJ's. Toothpaste, kitchen trash bags, and large freezer bags were the Aldi purchases. We have plenty of soap, shampoo, conditioner, OTC meds, and cleaning supplies already on hand.

Foodwise I spent a total of $ 245.67. My first stop was GFS where for $32.93 I brought home 5 lbs. of egg noodles, 5 lbs. of penne pasta, 2 lbs. frozen peas, 2 lbs. frozen broccoli florets, 2 lbs. frozen cut green beans, and 2 lbs. frozen stir fry vegetables.
Next up was BJ's Wholesale club. I spent $ 87.69 on food. I brought home a whole pork loin
 

 

 which I cut up into a large roast, 8 pork chops and a small bag of pork cubes for stir fry.
I also brought home an eye round which became 6 steaks and a nice sized roast
 A double package of London broil which I repackaged into 2 dinner sized packs:
I also brought home a two pack of Sun Dried tomato and mozzarella chicken sausage, a gallon of organic milk, a bag of Smart Pop cheddar popcorn, a bag of salt & vinegar chips, and a large box of Cheezits.
 
My final stop was Aldi where for $125.05 I came home with 3 bags of tortilla chips, a large jar of salsa, a dozen eggs, 8 Greek fruit flavored yogurts, 4 regular fruit yogurts, a pint of lowfat cottage cheese, a pint of light sour cream, two packs of cheddar brats, a 2 lb. bag of BLSL chicken breast, a small boneless leg of lamb roast ( a special item I snatched up before it is gone), a small turkey ham, a box of lasagna noodles, 3 small bags of cheese tortellini, 3 lbs of bananas, 3 cans mandarin oranges, 1 can crushed pineapple, a whole pineapple, 4 cans Arizona green tea, 2 cans diced tomatoes, 1 bottle red grapefruit juice, 1 bottle grape juice, 1 bottle cranberry juice, 1 bottle apple juice, 1 jar red cabbage w/ apples, 3 lbs. red apples, 3 lbs. green apples, 1 jar sweet gherkins, 1 bottle cherry juice, 1 can black olives, 1 jar spanish olives, 1/2 gallon cookie dough ice cream, 1/2 gallon vanilla bean ice cream, 1/2 gallon strawberry ice cream, 1 bottle brown mustard, 2 bottles steak sauce, 1 bottle ranch dressing, 1 pint strawberries, 1 lb. baby carrots, 1 bunch celery, 1 bag of 3 romaine lettuce, 1 bag Prince Edward medley vegetables, 1 bag shredded Mexican cheese, 1 bag shredded mozzarella cheese, 1 quart mushrooms, 1 bag string cheese, 1 pack mini cucumbers, 1 loaf bread, and 1 pack Hawaiian rolls.
 
My darling teen L put away all the groceries while I took care of dividing up the large cuts of meat. We had steaks on the grill, buttered egg noodles, and peas for dinner. Not on the menu plans but quick, filling, and easy to prepare after a long day.

1 comment: