Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Produce Run

Food Clipart Image: Fruits and Vegetables on a Snack Plate ... While out yesterday running college age daughter around on her errands I stopped at a local year round farmer's market and picked up some fresh produce. I spent $38. 07 in cash and came home with two pints of raspberries, a quart of strawberries, a pineapple, 8 nectarines, a bag of green grapes, a bag of cherries (SUPER expensive but I yielded to temptation anyway), a loaf of rye bread, a half pound of sandwich pepperoni, and 3 lbs. of oranges. College age son had asked for some roast beef lunch meat but I almost fell over when I saw they were asking $11 a pound for this. YIKES. I have an eye round in the freezer I will roast for dinner and then use my meat slicer on the leftovers to make our own 'lunch' meat. Dinner last night for just myself was a grilled mozzarella and pepperoni on rye sandwich and grapes. Simple to make and delicious, although not part of the original menu plan.

2 comments:

  1. Changes on hand here as well. Currently there is bologna (Aldi's) and sliced ham (Aldi's) but also hardboiled eggs, meatloaf and sliced, roasted chicken in the meat drawer. Not planning on buying cold cuts for some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy prices on lunch meat. I roasted that eye of round last night for dinner and will use some of it for my dinner tonight (college age daughter out of town, college age & adult sons working) in a salad and then slice up the rest for lunch sandwiches. We have plenty of eggs, tuna, chicken in the house to make sandwich salads as well as peanut butter and cheese. No need to buy any more lunch meat.

      Delete