Monday, June 22, 2015

Pineapple Preserves

Jam Clip ArtMy hunt at the grocery store for pineapple preserves being fruitless (ha ha) I turned to the internet for a recipe. And I got lucky finding one that is only two ingredients which I already had in the house! What I didn't have was jam sized canning jars. But Target had them on sale, a dozen for $7.99. I just happened to have turned all the loose change from the bottom of my purses into paper money ($40!!) so I dipped into some of this and bought the jars.
This morning I added the jars to my almost full dishwasher to make a full load so that they are clean and sterilized and ready to go. Then I assembled my ingredients:
 a can of crushed pineapple in juice and sugar. Put them in the pot
stirred them up and brought them to a boil.
  Stirring constantly for 20 minutes and the preserves were thick. I spooned them into two sterilized jam jars put on the lids and rings and processed them in a boiling water bath in my dutch oven. AND thinking ahead I saved the water for another project that I will share later.
Here are my two homemade jars of pineapple preserves (cost: 89 cents for crushed pineapple, 50 cents for 2 cups sugar bought at wholesale club, so total cost is 69 cents per jar not counting cost of jars ( 66 cents each which will be used over and over again).
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment