Friday, June 7, 2013

Catching Up

The breather was much needed, since 2012 promises to bring in several ...It has been almost a month since I posted anything. It was extremely busy around here. The last month of work before summer vacation means extra things to wind up the school year. I've been trying to attend as many of my grandson J's baseballs games as I can get to as well as going to watch my grand-nephew J play Little League. I spent two weekends dog sitting for my GF while he traveled to a couple of bowling tournaments. We enjoyed a local parade my youngest was marching in with the high school band and a family picnic over the Memorial Day weekend. And we traveled out of town last weekend to my eldest step-daughter's wedding and had a wonderful time meeting her new inlaws as well as visiting with family we don't get to see very often. It was well worth the travel expense although our close encounter with the edge of a tornado was not something we'd like to do again. While in Springfield Illinois for this wedding we did a bit of sightseeing taking the free tour of the Lincoln Home and National Historic site. And since the reception was at the Lincoln Library we also got to enjoy that as well.
Finances worked out pretty well for the month, all the bills were paid and we had a suspiciously low electric bill. Since it was an estimate I went and ahead and paid it but the other shoe dropped when I read my meter for this month's bill and realized that sure enough as I suspected this month the bill is above average. This just teaches me the importance of always reading my meter myself.  Groceries were a nice $204.87 for the month. Well below my budgeted amount. Gas expenses for the month were $ 171.79 so average. I expect gas expenses to drop slightly over the summer since I won't be driving to and from work every day but we will be driving to and from the waterpark (membership paid for by GF), the zoo (membership), the beach, and local parks. Household nonfood expenses for May were $ 65.46. I've recently had to readjust this budget from $50 to $70. Everything is just costing more. I also spent some money on clothing, my youngest son really needed his first suit for his sister's wedding but we shopped around and finally ended up at the Haggar store which was having a 70% off sale and I got him a very nice black suit for $105. GF gifted him with a brand new shirt and tie to go with it. He looked very nice at the wedding which was last weekend and will be wearing this same ensemble when he goes to his girlfriend's brother's wedding this summer. I'm hoping he doesn't grown much and can wear this suit for homecoming in the fall as well. I spent $30 on myself for a black lace bolero style jacket to wear with a dress I already purchased (and only wore once before) for the wedding and another $25 for a pair of capri pants to replace a pair that got ruined by grease. We ate out three times in May for a total cost of $ 99.24. My final expense was $50 spent on replacing the outdoor umbrella for our patio table. Our previous umbrella got taken out by a thunderstorm last summer.
I also managed to transfer enough money into my savings that we are all set for the summer months while I am not getting paid.

No comments:

Post a Comment