Monday, March 11, 2013

Winner Winner Turkey Dinner!

It was an amazing day weatherwise on the northcoast yesterday. Our temperatures reached into the mid to high 60s and for the most part the sun was shining. A perfect opportunity to get outside and enjoy.
Car wash | Stock Vector © Andrey Kokidko #5601187Car cleaning chores were tops on my list yesterday and after the trip through the carwash on Saturday I was determined to follow up with a detailed cleaning of the interior of my vehicle. After a couple of hours spent vacuuming, cleaning windows, scrubbing floor mats, and washing all the insides of the doors and dashboard, as well as applying shiny tire stuff to my tires my ride looked almost brand spanking new. GF spent that time cleaning both his car and his Harley and we were ready to take our traditional Sunday drive.
First however I needed to get dinner started. Way back at Thanksgiving GF's company gave him a turkey that we stuck in his freezer for further use. Weighing in at around 16 pounds it wasn't a horribly large bird but big enough that I knew I'd get several meals out of it.

   
 
I prepped the bird, cleaning it and discarding the innards. Then sprayed the outside with a generous coating of spray Smart Balance and seasoned it inside and out with McCormack's Rotisserie Chicken seasoning blend. Popped it into the biggest baking pan GF has in his kitchen (note to self acquire a roaster for him) and it was oven ready:
 
 

GF and I knew we'd have a few hours to enjoy ourselves since the sides I'd planned on (stovetop stuffing, homemade gravy, green beans and cranberry sauce) would only take the few minutes the bird was resting before carving to put together. We enjoyed a lovely drive into a rural area of our state with a stop at a couple of very old cemeteries for me to take headstone pictures of some of my great etc. grandparents for my genealogy research. At first GF was uncertain about this plan and thought wandering around old cemeteries was a bit morbid. However on the ride home he said he'd been wrong and that this was a peaceful way to enjoy a couple of hours outdoors in the sun and the warmth after a cold snowy winter.
When we arrived back at his home I let the turkey rest, prepared the sides and we enjoyed a wonderful 'Thanksgiving like" feast for dinner. Here is my plate all ready for me to enjoy:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment