Monday, March 4, 2013

March Grocery shopping

So, I dreamt that I was at a store, shopping for groceries, when a ...After work today I had to run my youngest son to the barber shop for a haircut, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to do my big grocery shop for the month as well since the barber is literally in the shopping plaza next to the BJs Wholesale Club we frequent.
So Son and I were off to BJs! I spent $55.82 and brought home a half gallon of mango-peach-orange juice, a 2 pack of Smart Balance spread, 2 lbs. frozen shrimp, 2 lbs. lemons, a large container of dried parsley, 5 lbs. sweet onions, a 2 pack of broccoli-cheddar soup (son's request), and a 48 oz. box of cheezits crackers.
Our next stop was Aldi. Keeping in mind my $250 budget for the month for food I had determined ahead of time that Aldi would be getting the lion's share of my food dollar. I spent $136.82 on food and another $20.46 from my $50 household budget there. Nonfood wise I purchased large kitchen trash bags, small Ziploc freezer bags, plastic wrap, aluminum foil, dish soap, and body lotion.
Food wise I brought home 4 'slim jim' meat snacks (son's treat), 3 lbs. granny smith apples, 3 lbs. navel oranges, 3 lb. bag quarter leg chicken, 3 lb. bag boneless skinless chicken breast, a large corned beef brisket, 1 package string cheese, 2 bags chicken strips (one plain, one buffalo), 3 lbs. bananas, 1 bottle grape juice, 1 bottle cranberry juice, 1 bottle apple juice, 1 bottle cranberry-raspberry juice, 2 bottles red grapefruit juice, 1 bottle mango-tangerine juice, 4 cans Arizona green tea, 4 cans Arizona Arnold Palmer Lite, 10 lbs. russet potatoes, 3 lbs. carrots, 1 lb. baby carrots, 4 cans mandarin oranges, 1 pack. chocolate pudding, 4 boxes jello (2 orange, 2 strawberry)1 bottle lemon juice, 2 cans cream of mushroom soup, 1 pack mini cucumbers, 1 English cucumber, 1 pint mushrooms, 4 bottles steak sauce, 2 quarts strawberries, 1 container old fashioned oatmeal, 2 blocks Colby cheese, 1 block NY sharp cheddar, 1 block Dubliner cheese, 1 round Queso Fresco, 1 pack. large flour tortillas, 1 pint grape tomatoes, 2 containers lemon yogurt (son's request) 4 containers assorted fruit Greek yogurt, 1 bag spring greens, 2 lbs. brown sugar, 1 quart low fat cottage cheese, 1 pint low fat sour cream, 1 box tagliatelle, 1 can whipped cream, 1 bag shredded Mexican cheese, 1 bag shredded mozzarella cheese, 1 bag shredded cheddar cheese, 1 jar raspberry preserves, 1 jar mild salsa, 5 bags assorted chips, and 1 dozen eggs.
We'd planned on going to the farmer's market but since BJs had no cottage hams today we settled on making Marc's our final stop. We spent $24.72 and brought home  2 bags egg noodles, 1 large cabbage, 6 ruby red grapefruits, 4 red bell peppers, a nice sized cottage ham, one bunch of celery, and a loaf of bread.
Out of the $250 I budgeted for food in March I have now spent $217.36 leaving me just under $33 for more produce (and possibly milk) for later in the month, a healthy amount and out of the $50 I budgeted for household items I have left $29.54.
I am quite happy so far. I have restocked a few pantry items, gotten in everything I need for the main parts of my dinner menus, gotten in enough fresh produce for 2 weeks or more, and provided a nice variety of snacks, easy to prepare things for youngest daughters lunches , and plenty of juices which I prefer the kids drink over soda pop. And since I gave up sodas and candy for Lent I also treated myself with a nice amount of Arizona ice teas.

No comments:

Post a Comment