Thursday, June 26, 2014

An orgy of cleanliness and something a bit different

Royalty-Free (RF) Housewife Clipart Illustration by BestVector - Stock ...  Yesterday was highly satisfying for me. Outside of a small trip to take youngest son to pick up a job app at a new fast food joint near us and then dropping him off at girlfriend's house I spent my entire day in my home. It felt so good. Cooler temperatures in the mid 70s and rain most of the day meant I concentrated on doing inside chores.
Although I prefer to hang laundry outside I have gotten quite behind in my laundry chores plus I wanted to wash all the throw pillows and blankets from the living room so I decided to just go ahead and use the dryer and catch up. I still have three loads to do today and it is threatening rain once again. I will finish up with the dryer and then it is strictly clothesline useage from here on out.  After feeding the cat and the dogs I went down cellar and tossed the first load in the washer.
My next goal was to give my small kitchen a good cleaning. The fact that the kitchen while eat in is still pretty small and it took me a good two and half hours of cleaning should tell you how deep this clean was. Top to bottom literally with me using the swiffer duster to knock down a couple of cobwebs on the ceiling (I cannot tell you how much I hate popcorn ceilings and the way everything sticks to them. UGH), dusting the ceiling fan and the tops of the cabinets, and working my way down to giving the floor a good wash. Continuing to move laundry along: washing, drying, folding, putting away I moved into the living and dining areas of my home (the entire first floor), dusting (once again top to bottom...I love my swiffer with the extendable handle, makes those 10 foot ceilings a breeze), sweeping, vacuuming, cleaning glass cabinet fronts and the storm door windows.
Midway through my orgy of cleanliness I realized I hadn't taken out anything for dinner. I knew it was going to just be myself and adult son so I grabbed a package of three pork chops from the freezer. I checked my menu plans and decided to swap the greek pork chops idea for a new recipe I'd been eyeballing from Gooseberry Patch's 101 Farmhouse Favorites for Maple Pork Chops.
I took:
 1/2 cup maple syrup ( I used genuine but 'fake' syrup would be fine)
3 tbl. soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
and mixed them all up together. I placed the chops in a glass dish and poured half the marinade over the top as per the recipe directions:

I wanted to tweak this so I added about 1/2 teaspoon of rosemary to the marinade I poured over the chops then covered them and let them marinate for an hour, turning them occasionally. While they were marinating I scrubbed and put a couple of russet potatoes in the oven to bake and threw together a tossed salad.
When the hour was up I heated my gas grill and then put the chops on, turning every 6 minutes they were done within 18 minutes. I removed them from the grill, drizzled the remaining marinade over the top and plated them up with the potato topped with smart balance spread, plain nonfat yogurt, and salt and pepper:

Salad went into a small side bowl since I didn't want the dressing to mix up with the marinade flavor.  The reviews were good, both adult son and I liked the flavor and I was glad I'd added the rosemary. I think it would've been a bit bland without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment