Sunday, September 22, 2013

An Apple A Day

 
While having a divinely domestic Sunday together GF and I grabbed some breakfast at a cute little diner run by a guy GF is friends with and then headed to a local farmer's market. They had several different varieties of locally grown apples on display and I spotted a type I'd never heard of before: The Crimson Crisp. They were giving out samples and after trying this one I knew it was going to be a new favorite. As you can see from the above photo they are a vibrant red in color. When  you bite into them they are firm, crunchy, juicy, and oh so tart. Almost tart enough to make your mouth pucker. Heavenly. These had to be the apples that tempted Adam. They put me in mind of the now nowhere to be found Baldwin apple that my mother always chose for baking. We went home with 18 of these beauties.
Of course my thoughts went directly to what I could create with these luscious lovelies. The first thing of course was to eat two of them. GF loves apples but they don't always love him. The test of whether these would be a good eating apple for him was on. Two hours later and no tummy troubles means we will be buying more. I have already googled the variety and where they are grown in Ohio and found a local orchard that has them. Next Sunday we are taking a little 20 mile ride and getting as many as we can carry.
The next thing I did was to decide what I was going to bake. I'd made a Fall Harvest cake at work on Friday that did not come out. I'd forgotten how hot those ovens run and my poor cake was incinerated on the bottom (hence the Ambrosia salad for the reunion) and I wanted to make another of these. Done. Fifteen minutes later it was in the bundt pan and in the oven.
 
But those red little gems were still calling my name. I peek into GF's pantry and an apple pie was  under way.  I stuck the shortening in the refrigerator to chill along with a bottle of water for the crust. I took 8 of these apples, peeled, cored and sliced them thin, tossed them with cinnamon, sugar, and flour and set aside. Once my shortening and water were very cold I put together the bottom crust and filled the pie dish with the prepared apples.
 
I quickly assembled the dough for the top crust and pulled out the pie crust decorator tool that was in GF's baking cupboard and made a decorative pie top. A sprinkle of sugar over the top crust and this baby was ready for the oven.
 
It is now resting on the counter cooling down so that we can enjoy this after dinner.
 





No comments:

Post a Comment