Friday, January 2, 2015

First Meal of 2015

children cooking clip art 2015 has gotten off to a great start on the cooking front. After peering into GF's refrigerator I came up with a terrific brunch that was based on what was on hand. It even included some of the planned over ham from "That Ham". Inside of the refrigerator was 2 dozen eggs (awesome), a baggie of ham slices (awesome), a block of cheddar cheese (terrific), milk and smart butter. On the counter were two lonely Idaho potatoes (great), and a loaf of rye bread (yippee). In the cupboard I found dried chopped onion, an item I keep on hand here because GF is not a big fan of onion and the fresh ones tend to go bad before I can use them all here. I also knew we were going to be going to BJ's in the late afternoon where we were picking up more potatoes so using up what was on hand was not a problem.
I quickly prepped the potatoes by dicing them small, the cheese by grating it, and the ham by cutting it up into smaller pieces:
I heated up a skillet on the stove with some oil in it, added the potatoes and the dried onion along with a sprinkle of parsley,  a pinch of salt and some black pepper and set that to cooking:
Once the potatoes were golden on all sides I added a tablespoon of water and covered the pan to finish cooking. I took six eggs and some milk and beat them in a bowl:
I tossed in the cheese and the ham. In my larger electric skillet I melted some smart butter then added the egg mixture to make a scramble.
I popped the rye bread into the toaster:
 and within minutes the first meal of 2015 was plated and ready to go:
 
One of my goals for this year is to eat out less and use up smaller amounts of food or planned overs before they go bad on me. Especially at GF's house where I will leave him things and they will just molder in his refrigerator because he can't be bothered to heat them up and eat them.
Our New Year's Day dinner was a smallish pork roast that I browned and put into the crockpot along with sauerkraut, a bit of apple cider, and some brown sugar. It cooked while GF and I ran errands (picked up college age son from his girlfriend's house, shopped at BJ's). Once back at his place I made mashed potatoes, heated up some corn, and made a small batch of homemade applesauce to serve with the pork roast. We enjoyed the dinner so much I totally forgot to take pictures.
It felt good to know that all our meals yesterday were made at home. I also had a zero dollar day since the BJ's trip was one that GF needed to take. I'd say 2015 is off to a good start.
 
 
 
 

1 comment: