Sunday, January 11, 2015

Bonus Day

Going back to school this week was an adjustment, however it wasn't as difficult as I had anticipated. The weather was a bit of an issue. Cold enough to keep us indoors at aftercare and snowy enough to make the morning commute a pain. With college age son still staying at GF's house, adult son working long hours, and college age daughter eating at her bf's house I found myself unmotivated to cook for myself. Even with planning dinners for one. Monday I pulled out the two remaining cheddar brats from a formerly full package and cooked those, pairing them up with egg noodles and peas. Tuesday adult son was home and got us pizza. Wednesday I had a hair appointment and GF invited me to dinner at a local pub/restaurant. Upon leaving dinner I discovered that school was cancelled the next day due to the expected subzero temperatures.
My first inclination was to spend the day relaxing but my better nature prevailed and I decided to spend the day getting some stuff done around the house. A good choice since it kept me busy and warm. My first job was cleaning the bathroom. I washed down the walls, the baseboards, and the floors using some Lysol spray cleaner I have been wanting to use up. My bathtub is extremely old. I think it may be from the 1960s. The house was built in 1930 but the tub is obviously newer than that. It has several permanent stains and one spot where the porcelain was damaged by drain cleaner. When adult son renovated the bathroom in 2009 we decided not to replace the tub since it is longer than the standard tubs you have today. And refacing it was too expensive. In any case even with its issues the tub REALLY needed a good clean up. Two rounds of Kaboom bathroom cleaner and it finally came clean. We have a set of chrome and wire shelves similar to this
 that holds a makeup basket, the hairdryer, toiletries, and dog grooming items. It was looking bad. I emptied it and gave it a good scrub down. While cleaning I made a mental list of needs for this space. A new shower curtain liner, some more hand towels, a new mini blinds are on the list. 
I then dusted, swiffered, and vacuumed the living room while doing a couple of loads of laundry. Dinner was totally off the menu. I had a small boneless leg of lamb in the freezer. I pulled this out and seasoned it with some Penzey's Greek seasoning. I tossed peeled and diced potatoes, carrots, and turnips with some olive oil, salt and pepper and more Greek seasoning and put them around the lamb and roasted the whole thing in the oven. Adult son and I enjoyed a delicious meal. And I have enough leftover diced lamb now in the freezer to make a meal with next month. 
I also had enough time to do some relaxing starting a new book and catching up with a couple dvr'd shows . 

No comments:

Post a Comment