Thursday, January 1, 2015

A look ahead and a look behind

Before plunging into what is going to be a busy day I thought I would take a look at finances; both those of the last year and what is ahead. I am pleased at how last year turned out overall. I managed not only to take care of the day to day obligations of living but also to celebrate a new birth and a high school graduation. We made it through the summer months on savings and after my meeting with the business office we are finally set on a steady income for the entire year. I trimmed some fat from the budget by renegotiating my internet costs, not renewing the XM radio, and making some changes to reduce utility and grocery expenditures. 
I have a couple of goals for 2015. I need to rebuild my savings so this is priority number one. I am not sure how much of a tax return I will receive this year. With youngest turning 18 we are no longer eligible for some tax credits we have used in the past. Any return will go towards property taxes. If there is not enough to pay the full year I will be getting 3 paychecks in January and one of these will help out with that bill. I will be earning some extra pay for running the parish fish fries. I am earmarking this for savings but if I need to use this for those taxes then that needs to be done. I will continue doing the baking classes once a month and that money will go in savings. I feel as if I am still grappling with the new income amounts and often feel as if I am standing on the edge of a cliff and disaster is only inches away. Hopefully with sensible money management this feeling will fade away. 
I have set myself a challenge as well. Beginning today I am going to go an entire year without purchasing any clothing for myself. The only exception is for socks and undies if needed. I love new clothes so this is going to be quite a battle for me.  I am also determined to have more free ( no money spent) days than days where money goes out this year. 
Wish me luck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment