Sunday, October 27, 2013

November Grocery Shopping Part 2

0511-0809-0702-2841_Dad_Grocery_Shopping_Clip_Art_clipart_image.jpg I am determined to get all of my grocery shopping completed for November (with a small possible stop for fresh produce before the holiday) this weekend.  I am looking forward to a November where once the monthly bills are paid I can turn my attention to the upcoming Christmas holiday with baking and shopping.
GF and I had a wonderful breakfast out at Marie Scrambler's, somewhere I'd never eaten before. I had a pumpkin stuffed French toast that was fabulous and which I can easily replicate at home.
Then we were off shopping. My adult son J who lives at home is in charge of buying all of the pet food we need as part of his living arrangements. He'd gone to the local Walmart as he usually does but they were totally out of the brand our dogs prefer. I'd mentioned a $6 off coupon I had for BJs for the same brand and he asked me to pick this up since the doggies are now totally out of food. GF had several items he needed to buy so BJ's was our first stop. While shopping on Friday I'd totally forgotten to buy milk and orange juice, two things we really needed. I think I may have a 'pre-cold', clogged sinuses in the morning and lots of sneezing all day long and I want to nip this in the bud before it becomes a full blown problem. I have a box of Coricidin HBP at home from last cold season that is still good but I'm holding out on that for worse symptoms than these. I got dog food ($29.99 minus $6 coupon= $24.99 for 37 lb. bag) and adult son J will reimburse me for this expense. I also picked up a dozen sponges for the cafeteria at school, another reimbursable expense for $10. Milk was $7 for the organic kind, a bottle of orange juice another $3, and I gave in to temptation and bought a 6 pack refill of Glade oil dispenser scents in holiday pine for the house for $9.99. I'd totally forgotten to get Halloween candy so I picked up a huge variety bag for another $12.
I still needed to run to Aldi so GF and I headed there. My total cost at Aldi was $158.69 but as anyone who shops regularly there knows that is a boat load of groceries. I spent $19.99 plus tax on a set of queen size flannel sheets for my bed that were on the special purchases table. I looked to see if they had twin and full size sheets as well for adult son, teen son, and college daughter but all that was left was queen and king. Flannel sheet sets are on all three kids Christmas lists. I will put out the word to all my adult kids who don't live at home to keep an eye out at the other Aldi locations for me for these.  I also spent $14.43 on nonfood household items and came home with two boxes of tissues, a box of trash bags, a box of large storage bags, a container of cotton swabs, and a box of toothpaste.
Food wise, for a cost of $124.21 I bought: 2 bottles ruby red grapefruit juice, 1 bottle 100% apple juice, 1 bottle cranberry-raspberry juice, 1  bottle 100% cranberry juice, 1 bottle 100% grape juice, 1/2 gallon of eggnog, 1 bottle organic wildflower honey, 1 jar coffee creamer, 4 bottles steak sauce, 2 bottles ranch dressing, 1 jar queso sauce, 3 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast, 1 dozen eggs, 3 heads garlic, 2 packs kielbasa, 1 bag honey ham, 1 bag string cheese, 1 box pierogies, 1 corned beef, 1 bag green grapes, 1 container hummus, 2 cans pumpkin, 3 lbs. bananas, 1 package Hawaiian sweet rolls, 1 package hard salami, 1 pack sliced cheddar, 1 pack sliced swiss,  1 block NY sharp cheddar, 1  block Colby cheese, 2 cans mandarin oranges, 2 cans evaporated milk, 2 cans diced tomatoes, 2 cans creamed corn, 1 box beef flavored rice mix, 2 packages cheddar brats, 1 bag pita chips, 1 box cherry poptarts (for GF, lol), 1 bag flour tortillas, 1 box taco shells, 1 bag tortilla scoop chips, 3 lbs. red grapefruit, 1 box Aldi 'cream of wheat' cereal, 2 bags kettle chips, and one box of the garden vegetable entertainment crackers.
My goal is to go until mid December without shopping for anything except fresh produce. Do-able I do think with all of the things I have stocked up at home and everything I purchased this month.

1 comment:

  1. Just an FYI, Nancy. Aldi was ONLY offering Queen and/or King on those flannel sheets. Hopefully they will offer Twin, sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete