Saturday, October 19, 2013

Anticipating heating costs

24711-Clipart-Illustration-Of-A-Furnace-And-Water-Heater-In-A ...With weather conditions reaching down into the high 40s this week first thing in the morning I have begun to think about some proactive measures to keep my costs as low as possible this winter. I have NOT turned the furnace on and so far have not had to light a fire in the fireplace. But my planning is in place and I will be taking steps in the next few days to get ready. The weather man is threatening us with the 's' word mid week. I'd rather be safe than sorry so I plan on taking some of this morning's cleaning job money and going to Lowe's. I need to pick up a new furnace filter and two window insulation kits. I have one unused one at home and Monday after work I will get started putting these up on the living room and dining room windows. I also plan on picking up a case of 'faux logs' at the wholesale club next weekend for the fireplace. In the meantime I will pick up a chimney cleaning log and use that first. 
The mini shop vac I own is going to be put to use vacuuming out the furnace so it is clean for the season and the new filter will be put in place.
Last weekend while out on a nice drive to a local orchard GF and I impulsively stopped at a garage sale and I picked up a really nice draft stopper for $1. I will use this in the dining room where the rear French doors are drafty. I also need to get adult son busy putting up strip insulation around this doorway . I will dig out the two draft stoppers I have for the front door and the side door and have those handy. All of the storm windows will come down and the screens will go up on both windows and storm doors.
And finally the shower curtain liner that hangs over the top of the basement stairs to prevent drafts from the side door immediately hitting the furnace will be replaced with a heavier version than what I currently have hanging up.
I am determined to make it to November before turning on the furnace but if  Mother Nature doesn't co-operate I will be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment