Sunday, October 27, 2013

Annual Eye Checkup

Eye Doctor Doing an Exam on a Boy clipart A couple of weeks ago I received my postcard in the mail from my eye doctor reminding me it was time for my annual checkup. I had just received the good news that I was now eligible for health insurance coverage including dental and eye the day before. I immediately picked up the phone and gave the eye doctor a call to set an appointment. I have been paying out of pocket for all of my health needs and with severe eye problems (astigmatism in both eyes and very bad vision in my right eye) annual visits and keeping up with the correct prescription for my contacts is essential. My daughter in law M has the same insurance as I do and warned me that I'd be paying something out of pocket although there is no co-pay on the exam. I figured anything less than the $200 it usual costs me is a good thing.
I had two pieces of good news at the end of my visit. The first had to do with my actual vision, it seems my left eye astigmatism is correcting itself and my vision has improved as a consequence. This would explain why I felt my vision was worse in that eye when wearing my current lenses. They were now too strong for the eye! I was able to get regular contacts for that eye and toric lenses (to correct astigmatism) only for the right eye at a significant difference in cost.
My second piece of good news was that the total for my visit, eye exam plus a 6 month supply of lenses for both eyes came to a grand total of $78.  My monthly insurance premium of $78 is already paying for itself!!

No comments:

Post a Comment