Saturday, October 26, 2013

Grocery shopping for November Part One

grocery+shopping+clip+art.jpg
Having yesterday as a day off I decided to get out and get some shopping done. October is almost over and I have everything in the house I need to make dinners for the week. So I am going to call this shopping for November. I did half yesterday and will make an Aldi run tomorrow to finish up.
My first stop was GFS where I purchased a large bag of Garden Veggie Straws for snacking. College daughter and I have tried these at aftercare and enjoy them. I also picked up a box of English breakfast tea, a jar of Ham base, a bag of orrechetti pasta, a bag of Amish egg noodles, a bag of frozen capri blend veggies, a bag of frozen chopped spinach, and a bag of frozen Asian stir fry veggies. Total cost: $35.42.

My next stop was BJ's Wholesale Club. I stocked up on meat. I came home with a large whole boneless pork loin (which I cut into a roast, a 1 lb. bag of cubes, and 10 thick pork chops), a smallish whole eye of round (which I cut into a 1 lb. bag of stew meat and 7 thick steaks), a smallish rack of lamb (which became 7 lamb chops), a huge beef brisket which I cut in half, an 8  pound package of ground beef which I divided up into 4 2 lb. packages, a whole turkey breast, an 8 pack of tomato sauce (had a $1.50 off coupon), a large wedge of imported parmesano-reggiano cheese, a large carton of Goldfish crackers, two big bags of cheddar popcorn, a 12 pack of Chobani yogurt, a 6 pck of white and wild rice mix, 2 lbs of pecans (thinking ahead to holiday baking), a 4 pack of crescent rolls, 2 lbs cranberries, a 2 pack of organic butternut squash ravioli, a bag of fresh sauerkraut, and a half dozen apple cider doughnuts. Nonfood items were two boxes of Damp Rid bags ($9.99 a box, had a $7 off on purchase of two coupon), a bottle of Aleve (instant savings at the register of $3) and a large bottle of laundry detergent. Total cost: $ 262.43; $44.94 on nonfood items, the remainder $217.49 on food.
My final stop yesterday was a local farmer's market. I spent $32.01. I brought home 8 turnips, 6 large parsnips, 4 large red bell peppers, a small container of multi-colored cherry tomatoes, a bag of baby carrots, a bag of shredded carrots, 2 lbs. strawberries, 4 lemons, 2 english cucumbers, a large butternut squash, a large spaghetti squash, and a container of pitted dates.

I also took a couple of hours to spend some time with middle adult daughter and baby grandson L. We had a nice lunch at Aladdin's (a chain of organic middle eastern food restaurants) and a great visit. Baby L is smiling and cooing now and seemed so much bigger. A month without seeing him is a vast span of time in his little life. It felt good to reconnect.

No comments:

Post a Comment