Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Sunday Supper and Planned Overs

It seems as if this weekend was full of meals that I had future plans for. Our Sunday supper was a delicious eye of round roast purchased at the whole sale club for $14 and cut in half before freezing. I pulled one of these out of the freezer and I seasoned it with Mccormack's Montreal Steak seasoning blend before putting in the oven.
. Alongside I made homemade from scratch genuine mashed potatoes Mashed Po.... My favorite potato for these is the basic russet which I peel and cut in half before cooking until fork tender. Unlike a lot of folks I don't much care for your everyday potato masher, I just don't think that tool gets the potatoes as fine as I like, so I use this handy tool Potato Ri... the potato ricer! After pressing the cooked potatoes through this back into the still hot pot they were cooked in I add Smart balance spread, organic milk, and a smidge of salt and pepper and then beat it all together with a slotted spoon. Yum. To round out our meal I served canned corn and brown gravy (take the drippings from the roast, add a bit of beef stock made by combining beef base and hot water to measure one cup and set aside. Melt two tablespoons of butter, whisk in two tablespoons of flour until smooth and just starting to turn brown, add the broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thickened. Taste to adjust seasoning and serve).
Knowing that I wanted to use some of this roast again I set aside a good amount of it for a future Beef Stroganoff dish! Two "fancy" beef meals for $3.50 each for the meat. I'll take that.

1 comment:

  1. Our Sunday suppers are similar: to provide planned overs for the upcoming work week. Great money saver and time saver as well!

    ReplyDelete