Thursday, October 4, 2012

Catching Up and making goals

The 2011 ...Amazingly my vow to start blogging regularly somehow disappeared into all the stuff I ended up doing over the summer. I did keep to my goals of menu planning, staying in my food budget, using my clothesline and growing some of my own vegetables. This last goal turned out to be only a couple of tomato plants and a bell pepper plant and herbs but still it was a small step in the right direction. Much time was spent enjoying good books and warm summer days with my teens, a camping trip and a fabulous week in Kansas with more family. And then before I knew it it was back to work for me and school for the kids.
September was spent getting back into the routine and organizing ourselves.
And now it is October, my favorite time of the year. At the end of September I did a financial review and found some areas where change is needed. I was able to stay under my budget goal for groceries during the summer months due to diligent stocking up of pantry goods but now I need to resupply.
upright d...Our old deep freezer finally died beyond repair but I was able to get a new one from a neighbor who had one he was no longer using for only $100. And it came with a turkey and a ham that he was going to ask if I wanted anyhow (single young guy doesn't cook, these were Christmas bonuses). I will cook these up and send back some of the prepared food to him. Sadly we lost all of the food that was in the freezer since we didn't discover it had died until it was too late so restocking this is also a priority. In order to do that  I've temporarily increased our food budget to $450 for food and another $100 for household goods for October and November only.
Our electric bill has been ridiculous so that is an area where we need to be more diligent. And finally last year there were too many impulse purchases made, especially of books. I'm getting out that library card and dusting it off and putting it back in use. And staying out of Target.
My other financial goals for October include: paying off my portion of our Kansas trip to my gentleman friend (critical for me to do this since we will be going back there for the week of Thanksgiving and I want to have my half up front), paying off my sole remaining credit card and then start using that sum of money to finally finish paying a small college loan I took to help my oldest son out with his education. Long term once that loan is paid off (February is my target) I will then use that sum of money and start applying it to my car loan.  And I need to begin rebuilding my savings, after looking at weekly expenses (gas, bowling), monthly expenses (hair, nails) and income I figure I should be able to stash $200 a month in my savings. I am working a small twice a month cleaning job that will easily cover that amount.

2 comments:

  1. Nancy,
    Now that your family at home is significantly smaller, do you find that an upright (uses more electric)vs a chest freezer is sufficient?I own a huge monster of a deep freeze, now stored at X's. I have some food still there that X will never use, need to get that used up, transfered to my place, but I only have the freezer portion of a regular sized refrigerator. I envision using the separate freezer for produce surplus, meats while keeping the freezer over the fridge for homemade "lunch" containers with soup, etc for grab and go meals.I love the luxury of an extra freezer and am debating getting one. Ideally, I'd sell the old one, recycle that money into a new, smaller one.

    My new household bills are evolving but I have a strong sense of what they are/will be, with teh exception of oil (our water is heated by a boiler-something new for me). I am fearful (accurate word!) of what this is costing me. Like you, I have a plan, and it's do-able, especially as I keep the bigger picture in mind. Lots of soups, beans right now in our diet, a lot less meat and extras as whatever I don't spend on food has been used towards moving, reconditioning old furnishings, acquiring new or new to me furnishings, car maintenance etc. While I still have a car loan,it's at 0% (not a typo!) interest. I have the option of paying it off soon, should I choose to. I want to build up my savings accounts: my emergency fund, next new car fund, next purchaed housing fund, not to mention some monies towards college for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol: I am convinced that the upright freezer is the way to go, especially with a downsized family. If you can get ahold of the newer models (and I was lucky to) they have energy saving features. I think what I save in groceries by keeping this full makes up for the extra electric. I have no comparison on what my electric costs are with the new freezer since my middle son runs (and pays the extra for) a window A/C unit in the summer months. As fall and winter progress I can get a better idea of this.
    I understand the fear of the heat bill. Here it is natural gas and I am hoping to be able to avoid turning on the furnace until November. Last year we made a few changes to help get this down, a new digital thermostat that we can program was a big money saver as was a new side door (furnace is located right at the bottom of basement steps by this door) as well as hanging up a shower curtain on a tension rod at the top of those steps. I will be posting menu plans sometime today but lots of soups show up for us as well. I'm also facing what might be an income reduction this year as well as a big one next year as my two youngest reach 18 and the death benefits come to an end. I'm looking at this change and starting to make preparations to deal with it when it comes along.

    ReplyDelete