Monday, October 15, 2012

New England Style Boiled Dinner

Slow Cooker New England Boiled Dinner Recipe  Tonight I am digging into some of our favorite recipes and using one my Mom gave me (although she just called it Cottage Ham and cabbage). The weather has been blustery and damp and I look forward to having this meal simmering on the back of the stove while I do my Monday afternoon house cleaning chores. I like to add potatoes and carrots to Mom's basic recipe and serve this with corn muffins.
Here are the recipes for both of these items:

Sorta Like Mom's New England Style Boiled Dinner:
Serves 6

3 lb. smoked boneless ham shoulder (aka Cottage Ham)
1/2 head of cabbage, cut into wedges
6 small potatoes, peeled and quartered
1/2 pound of baby carrots
1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper

Place all ingredients in a dutch oven, cover with water (or chicken broth), cover pot and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer on low for 2 hours until potatoes, carrots, and cabbage are cooked through.

 Corn Muffins:
1 cup flour
1 cup yellow or white cornmeal
1/2 cup sugar (I like to use maple sugar)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk (I use sour milk)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 egg beaten
Preheat oven to 400 degrees, grease or line with paper liners 12 muffin cups. Combine dry ingredients, make a well in the center and add wet ingredients. Mix together well. Spoon 1/4 cup of batter into each muffin cup. Bake 12-15minutes until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool and serve.


2 comments:

  1. I love a boiled dinner. I usually use a shank ham for mine. Perfect on damp, raw days. Save the stock and make soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom also called this a New England boiled dinner.

    ReplyDelete