Sunday, December 29, 2013

Off the December Menus meals

Illustration Of Chicken Soup. Royalty Free Vector Illustration at ... The day after Christmas the GF started to feel pretty bad, headache, body aches, sore throat, cough it all added up to what sounded like a nasty cold/flu bug to me. Of course being the slightly stubborn cuss that he is ::wink wink:: he has refused to call in to work. BUT he did call of bowling (his major passion) so that clued me in to how badly he was feeling. Dinner (sadly beans and weenies) and then right to bed that night.
Friday we'd been invited to middle daughter's home for dinner but GF went straight to bed after work again. I and youngest son who have been staying at GF's house headed out to daughter's and had a very nice time. A soup (pasta fagioli) and salad (Caesar) meal and a good visit.
Yesterday was my morning to clean at GF's company and afterwards despite feeling under the weather he insisted we needed to get to BJ's to pick up some supplies for his work plus a few food items for his house. I decided what he really needed yesterday was some good hot homemade chicken soup. I picked up a big fat roaster since the fryers that had looked a bit skimpy. perdue oven roaster lb perdue oven roaster lb perdue oven roaster lb
Once back to his place I put the roaster, celery tops I'd saved in his freezer, a few baby carrots, some chopped onion and a whole lot of garlic into a pot, topped with water, and let it simmer for the next three hours. Once I removed the chicken and skimmed out the veggies I brought the broth to a boil added some carrots and egg noodles from Aldi that were in his cupboard and let it go for ten minutes. In the meantime I cut up all of the dark meat and part of the white meat and returned it to the broth. The remainder of the white meat (about one and half breasts worth) I put in a ziplock baggie to create another meal with.
Once GF awoke from his long nap (four hours) I served him up a huge bowl of this healing soup.  While at BJ's we also picked up a large package of ground round. I divided it in half, freezing half of it for another time, and put the remainder in the refrigerator. My plan is to make a shepherd's pie (technically cottage pie with ground beef) for today's dinner. Not on my menu plans but something we have not had in a really long time and which sounds mighty good.!

2 comments:

  1. Comfort food at it's best! Not sure what the weather is like your way, it's overcast and damp here, about 40 degrees and torrential rains are forecasted. My joints are killing me, so I know the forecast is accurate.
    Hope GF feels better soon. I've heard of some flu cases already here, in CT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had HM chicken noodle soup and/or "shepherd's" (mine would be cottage technically as well) pie in a very long time. And I love both and I do enjoy my comfort foods.

    ReplyDelete