Monday, December 30, 2013

Comfy Sunday Supper

Sunday Dinner  I decided yesterday morning to go off the menu plans and make a dinner we hadn't had in a really long time: Shepherd's Pie...well technically Cottage Pie since I wasn't making this with lamb.

I took a package of ground round and browned it in a skillet, adding chopping onion, parsley, and Worcestershire sauce to it. Once totally browned I added a couple heaping spoonfulls of flour, mixing it well. Then I poured in two cups of milk to make a pan gravy. A well drained can of corn went into the skillet and I poured the entire mixture into a casserole dish:
 
Meanwhile I peeled and cooked four medium sized russet potatoes in some boiling salted water, I used my  ricer to press the cooked potatoes back into the pan, added some smart balance and milk and beat it all together with a large spoon to make mashed potatoes. I added the potatoes on top of the meat mixture, dotted with additional smart balance and sprinkled the top with parsley before putting it into a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.
 
Hot and filling , it was the perfect one dish comfort meal for a wintery Sunday supper.

1 comment: