Sunday, December 8, 2013

December Grocery shopping trip

0511-0809-0702-2841_Dad_Grocery_Shopping_Clip_Art_clipart_image.jpg  I had that entire week off the week of Thanksgiving and after accomplishing the cleaning that I really needed to get done I also managed to do a grocery shopping trip for December. I limited myself to a smaller than normal amount of money because I want to free up as much cash for gifts and unexpected extras. The freezer is still nice and full as are the pantry shelves so I knew this trip would be heavy on snacks, dairy, juice, and fresh produce. I was 'assigned' brown sugar mashed squash and a veggie tray for Thanksgiving so I picked up those items as well.

I went to three locations, a local farmer's market, a small Italian deli/grocery store, Aldi, and BJ's wholesale club. I had a nice companion this time, my oldest son as he had taken a couple of vacation days and my DIL was working still so the two of us spent a couple of hours schlepping around while we both shopped.

Our first stop was BJ's. I spent $96.81. The only nonfood item I purchased was a case of toilet paper for $21.99. The remainder of the money went for food. I brought home a container of tabouleh salad, a four pack of pork tenderloin, a gallon of organic 1% milk, a two pack of Smart Balance, a case of Chobani fruit yogurts, a bag of snack sized Vermont cheddar cheese, a large box of Pepperidge Farm goldfish crackers, a 3 lb. bag of baby carrots (for Thanksgiving veggie tray), a container of organic spring greens mix, a pound of hard salami, and a box of 4 cans of crescent rolls.

The next stop was Aldi. I spent $123.21 and the only nonfood item I purchased was a box of aluminum foil for $2.43. The remainder was for food. I brought home 4 English cucumbers (Thanksgiving veggie tray), a box of pierogies, a 3 lb. bag of boneless skinless chicken breasts, a 3 lb. bag of chicken tenderloins, 2 packages of cheddar brats, 4 boxes of 'rice a roni' (one beef, two chicken, one Spanish), 1 bag frozen garlic cubed potatoes, a container of hummus, two packs of Neufchatel cheese, 1 pint sliced baby bella mushrooms, a bag of clementines, 1 pack Welsh cheddar cheese, 1 quart of strawberries, 3 lbs. granny smith apples, 3lb. bananas, 2 bunches celery (Thanksgiving veggie tray), 1 can mandarin oranges, 2 packs kielbasa (thinking ahead to New Year's Day dinner), 1 pint sour cream, 1 bottle 100% cranberry juice, 2 bottles 100% apple juice, 2 bottle ruby red grapefruit juice, 1 bottle cranberry-pomegranate juice, 1 pack string cheese, 1 bottle chili sauce, 2 containers caramel dip, 1 bag shredded cheddar, 1 bag shredded mozzarella, 1 package sliced muenster cheese, 1 pack sliced swiss cheese, 1 pack deli ham, 1 bag pita chips, 3 lbs. lemons, 1 bag bbq chips, 1 bag Hershey kisses, 1 bag mini Reese peanut butter cups, 1 box Andes mints (candies are for stocking stuffers), 1 bag tortilla dipper chips, 1 pack individual mixed fruit cups, 2 packs individual chocolate pudding cups, 1 quart grape tomatoes, 2 blocks white NY cheddar, 1 box honey graham crackers,1 jar nacho cheese sauce, 1 box saltines, and 1 tub pretzel sticks.

At the Farmer's Market I spent $22. I bought 6 large red bell peppers (for Thanksgiving veggie tray),  3lbs. of ruby red grapefruit, two large butternut squash (for Thanksgiving), a spaghetti squash, and a salami rolled in herb de provence.

At the local Italian deli-grocery store I spent $14.37 and I brought home a half pound sliced Italian blend  cheese, a pound of sliced pepperoni, a package of almond biscotti, and a loaf of Italian bread with seeds, and a bag of ciabatta rolls.

Total Nonfood household expenses: $24.42. Total food expenditure : $231.97,  $118.03 under my usual budgeted amount of $350 for food only. Money that can be used for the holiday. And I got some stocking stuffer candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment