Thursday, December 26, 2013

Christmas Eats

As has been our tradition for the last five years GF and I hosted my children and their significant others to Christmas Eve dinner. Middle daughter K and her husband and sons were unable to join us but 5 of my children plus my DIL were there. I did our traditional meal of Pork Tenderloin Balsamico, white and wild rice pilaf, salad, candied carrots, crescent rolls, and this year for dessert offered up a Cheesecake Factory cheesecake. That pork tenderloin is one of GF's favorites and it couldn't be easier.
You take lemon zest from one large lemon, 1 tsp. of chopped fresh garlic, salt and pepper and a tsp. of rosemary and combine them. Rub them on three pork tenderloins. Heat 2 tbl. oil in a large ovenproof skillet and then brown the tenderloins on all sides. Place skillet in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes until pork reaches 145 degrees. Remove pork from skillet, add 2 cups of beef broth, 1 cup of balsamic vinegar and 2 tbl. butter to the hot pan, bring to a boil and cook until liquid is reduced by half. Serve sauce over the pork. Yum.
After dinner we played a new board game: SmartAss which resulted in much laughter and fun by all. Then we exchanged gifts ( I received two books, a complete illustrated Sherlock Holmes anthology and the history of Betty Crocker from oldest daughter who shares my love of reading, a Keurig Cup drawer storage center to go under my coffee maker & new potholders and kitchen towels from oldest son & DIL; a mini fridge from adult son who lives at home, new red Toms shoes from youngest son & college age daughter, and new slippers, hand soaps, kitchen towels, a new infinity scarf, and new gloves from college age daughter. Quite a haul and all of loved and appreciated)  we had dessert and then played the second new board game I bought Logo.

Christmas Morning was at GF's house for myself and two youngest kids. Adult son chose to stay home and make sure the pets were well cared for. After exchanging gifts I made  us all a breakfast of from scratch pancakes and sausage links. Clementines from our stockings were on offer as well. Our Christmas dinner tradition since they bought their own home is for my oldest son and DIL to have both families to their home. This works out nicely for GF and I since he is my DIL's uncle as well as my GF. Twenty of us gathered together and everyone brought something. I made a herb crusted eye of round this year and tried a new cooking method. I heated the oven to 500 degrees. After seasoning the roast I lowered the oven temp to 475, put the roast in the oven and cooked it for 7 minutes per pound (56 minutes in this case) then turned the oven off completely for 2 1/2 hours. After wrapping the roaster tightly in foil and transporting this to son's house it was perfectly done when it was time to carve it! I also made green bean casserole and a cherry pie as well as putting together an assortment of cookies. Son made two turkeys with heavenly sausage-apple stuffing and the mashed potatoes. DIL's mom brought corn, pickles and olives, two pumpkin pies and an apple pie. DIL's Aunt brought cranberry sauce and the rolls,  DIL's other uncle and my oldest daughter brought all the beverages and DIL's second aunt and uncle brought even more cookies! It was quite a feast. And another wonderful day/evening spent talking and laughing and just generally having a wonderful holiday together. It is quite a blessing that our two families have truly become one. And next year there will be a new little face joining us as oldest son and his wife expand their family this June!
Tomorrow night will be another family dinner at middle daughter's home, but in the meantime  just to bring us down to reality tonight's dinner was the ever popular hot dogs and baked beans!

No comments:

Post a Comment