Sunday, February 3, 2013

Sunday Morning Breakfast

I adore the slow and gentle pace of a Sunday morning. It is a time to catch up on reading (blogs!) and small chores. I also reserve Sunday mornings for a cooked breakfast.
Today's choice was (organic, uncured) bacon and made from scratch pancakes with a nice hot cup of coffee (a Kona blend that GF prefers that I doctor up with a sprinkle of cinnamon and a splash of coffee creamer) on the side. If there is one kitchen appliance that gets used almost as much as my slow cooker and my KA mixer it is my electric skillet. I love this nonstick pan, it is perfect for all kinds of meals (I used it just last night for Pork chops with an Apple cider sauce) but especially for pancakes and bacon.
I started out by getting the bacon in the pan. My favorite bacon is pretty pricey, an organic uncured bacon from Beeler's Pure Pork Products. Unfortunately this is not their product. It is organic and it is uncured but not having time to get to the one and only source of Beeler's in my area I picked up this package at the wholesale club. It tastes good but it is not Beeler's. One thing I love about the Beeler bacon besides the flavor is that it doesn't curl up in the pan when you cook it and it has a greater lean meat to fat ratio than this does.
The next step while the bacon cooked was to mix up my pancake batter. This is my favorite recipe for both pancakes and with a tweak (separating out the egg whites and beating them until stiff then folding in at the end of mixing) for waffles as well.
Basic Pancakes (makes 12)
1 cup flour
1 tbl. sugar
2 tbl. melted butter
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl until smooth. Drop by tablespoonfuls into a heated nonstick skillet. When surface is covered with small air bubbles, flip and cook until golden brown on the second side.
 As soon as the bacon was done I removed it to a paper covered towel to absorb the grease, poured the grease off into a small container to go in the refrigerator and  washed and dried and reheated the skillet. It was time to make the pancakes!
 
All in all a delicious breakfast that would've cost us about $6 at the local diner we enjoy but which cost about $3 ( I figured it to be $2.50 for bacon for 4,  25 cents for the pancake ingredients used, and  25 cents for the cup of joe) to have at home!
 



1 comment:

  1. Looks good, Nancy. Real food and real savings by eating at home

    ReplyDelete